Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CASE Learn on a RR?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Hint: The RR device is designed to be a temporary tuning aid, it is not designed to operate a vehicle indefinitely. Although during testing, I ran an LS1 for 6 months continuously on a RR unit.

Regards
    Paul
    This is just it. The RR is not meant to replace the ECM indefinitely. While it may work and can function, for optimal stock features, use a stock PCM. Just use the RR for real time tuning.

Thanks Blacky!

Eric

Agreed, the parts are NOT automotive grade, so long term use isn't ideal at all....

Having said that, there are some guys that have been RR's 24/7 since they came out (LS1 and Duramax), so it's possible, but probably not it's original intention.
    I am sure not long after they were released Moates upgraded the parts used to 105°C where possible, this was mainly due to the early units having problems on the Holdens when they were given many dyno runs, why?, because the PCM is mounted 2" from the headers!! (who decided on that at GM?)

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

My company used to design PCM's (for Ford, Dodge, Cummins, Honda/Honda Racing, once in a while GM, GM Quadrasteer, till we sold them off to some German tire company) and it isn't trivial designing for underhood temps. On the embedded cell phone business that is still in use in the US, we did a lot of work on it and that is why our early versions were painted black, just to give us the edge on temps. Might be why the black box PCM's are black.... We went to unpainted as we did more testing to prove it wasn't needed.

Doing the testing in the labs is cool, the abuse you have to survive to be automotive grade.... Cool, but very abusive to the product....

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Having said that, there are some guys that have been RR's 24/7 since they came out (LS1 and Duramax), so it's possible, but probably not it's original intention.
    I am sure not long after they were released Moates upgraded the parts used to 105°C where possible, this was mainly due to the early units having problems on the Holdens when they were given many dyno runs, why?, because the PCM is mounted 2" from the headers!! (who decided on that at GM?)

Cheers,
    Ross
    My RR has been in my Holden full time unless I was tuning a mates car. This has included many dyno runs and at least 30 passes at the strip without any issues. Under bonnet temps get extremely high here with the ambient getting over 40deg C.
    The Tremor at AIR

We test and abuse to -40 to +125C....OPERATIONAL testing...

We do unpowered thermal shocks, -40 to +125, for 1000 cycles.... Yeah, we are hell on them..... Takes around 35 days to fully test....

So...should it be possible to perform a case relearn even if there is no P1336 code?
    I'm sure I was able to do so with the V7.4 but now with the new format of V7.5 it doesn't seem to allow me to do so.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    Agreed, the parts are NOT automotive grade, so long term use isn't ideal at all....
    Never thought of this.

Why oh why did I take my trusty Delco PCM out of my vehicle. Shame on me. It needs to sit in the back seat with the spare belts/alternator/laptop etc. that normally sits back there, and tools.

For me, it'll be my RR sitting on my shelf collecting dust...that is, until I get more Toys.

Eric

Lifetime Member

So, I have installed a new motor, trans, etc. The Roadrunner is still in the vehicle and I setup my initial tune on it. I do not get a P1336, but I am guessing that the Roadrunner wouldn't know the difference. Based on the preceding, it looks like I need to reinstall the OE PCM, full flash the .tun file from the RR to it and perform the CASE relearn, then copy and full flash the file from the OE PCM back to the RR to continue with tuning. Is this correct? Also, is it correct that the RR will not see misfires as I have not recorded any even when they were expected? Or will this be corrected once the relearn has been flashed back onto the RR?
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

IMO this thread is a farce, try changing the missfire tables if you get DTC's with a cam.
    I've had mine installed for almost 2 years and I bought it used, no problems.
    I just opened one of my RR's and the chip board was quality,
    it's not like a cheap amplifier with crappy solder joints.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234