Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CASE Learn on a RR?

So what issues show up that if CASE Learn isn't done that could hurt tuning, engine, etc?

Is there anyway that that memory area can be read from the old PCM and manually written into the RR? If the RR is a true ROM Emulator, it should have all the addresses available, I am betting that EFILive or TunerCatRT is writing to not all the addresses.

Pretty sure you just won't be able to detect misfires if case relearn isn't done. I know alot of people never bother.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

AJ mentioned that he thinks the fuel trim learn is disabled when CASE Learn is not learned. My engine never shows the learn PID as yes, it is always No.

If that is all, I don't really care....

I spent many months troubleshooting not being able to CASE learn. First, I run continuously with the Roadrunner (stock PCM has been collecting dust on the shelf), and the CASE relearn works perfectly with mine. The only oddball thing is that when I disconnect the battery for more than a few minutes, I have to re-perform the relearn. As for running without the relearn done. When I haven't done the learn, my car runs like crap. Bucking, sputtering, etc. As soon as the relearn is done, no problems. So there is something to doing the learn besides misfire detection.

Derrick
    1969 Camaro, LS3, 4L80E, Dana 60 rear, Air Ride, 19 and 20" wheels, Baer Brakes, and a lot more.
    2008 Charger SRT-8 Super Bee, Exhaust and Cold Air kit (Wife's car)
    2007 Yukon XL Denali, Family Hauler

http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l...i/69%20Camaro/

i know this is an old thread but there is no guilt that i hijacked it.
    glad i found this thread, taz saved the day. i have been beating my brains out
    on a poor running car (sometimes) with the same symtoms.
    the car:
    '02 Z heads\cam put the roadrunner in it in sept. for the cruise to memphis for the
    LSx shootout. tweaked it there and back with some positive changes.
    ses light came on P1336 tried to do a relearn with an OTc gynensis and i could not.
    the car ran great so after getting tired of the light i set it to report no error and forgot about it. slowly it seemed to run like crap. starting with a cold surge and an intermitent
    lock up tcc.
    it got to the point of what taz described overnight. it was missing though the misfire
    monitor did not show it. car ran like crap unless you hit PE then it ran like a raped ape.
    i set P1336 to an A code and it was ok code wise but the car ran poorly.
    i put the 411 back in and it was problem solved.
    i have had a check sum error for 2 years or so no matter what i am using it in. it never seemed to care. this has been the longest i have had it in one car.
    i am thinking a complete format is in order. anyone know how?

Lifetime Member

I guess you guys are seeing an issue with the PCM itself. I never had an issue with the roadrunner like this. Although my latest issue was that the car didn't want to fire up. So might be worth noting this.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

The CASE learn routines in the PCM require that it writes the learn values to the flash memory so they aren't lost if battery power is removed. Of course there is no flash memory in the Road Runner so it can't be learned.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

I don't see why it doesn't work. All it has to do is write to the emulated portion... I haven't tried it, but... I think it stores LTrim data IIRC...
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Ross, if one were to take off the flash, or to read the RR, can you find those memory locations and read them, so the CASE learn can be transferred from PCM to PCM so for people like me who use the same RR in multiple PCM's/vehicles, that I can keep my CASE learn handy?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    The CASE learn routines in the PCM require that it writes the learn values to the flash memory so they aren't lost if battery power is removed. Of course there is no flash memory in the Road Runner so it can't be learned.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I don't see why it doesn't work. All it has to do is write to the emulated portion... I haven't tried it, but... I think it stores LTrim data IIRC...
    Because the RoadRunner has no flash memory! The PCM code is designed to write the values to flash memory, not RAM, there is a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    Ross, if one were to take off the flash, or to read the RR, can you find those memory locations and read them, so the CASE learn can be transferred from PCM to PCM so for people like me who use the same RR in multiple PCM's/vehicles, that I can keep my CASE learn handy?

Thanks!
    Again, it's not stored in the RR, ever.
    On a normal LS1 PCM EFILive gives you the option to retain the CASE data on a full flash to save the relearn procedure needing to be done.
    In your situation, when you are finished tuning with the Road Runner and you refit the original PCM there should be no problem with the CASE data as the original PCM will still have it stored in flash.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast