Thread: Diagnosis?

Default Diagnosis?

Ok - so my car's been freaking out on me a little lately. It's almost 10 years old now, but only has 54K on the clock.

The problem is - I'm getting significant voltage swings, which are visible in my logs, any and all lights that are on (they pulse/strobe), and even looking at the needle on the dash. Not to mention...the voltage itself has been rather high. It's not uncommon to see 15V now, whereas I use to see 13.5~14.2 tops.

My guess: Assuming there's some sort of voltage regulator inside the alternator, I think that's taking a big, fat dump. So, I'm about to invest the time and money to replace the alternator (which unfortunately means removing the Procharger). That'll be a fun 8 hours or so on my back. :(

Any other ideas as to what it could be???

It most likely is the alternator... but let me reread the service manual... get back to you in a day or 2.

It would be nice if we had the calibration table(s) for the PCM's alternator L control output.

Granted it's not a GM, but what you're describing is prototypical of a Honda alternator failure (I work for Honda, don't hate me lol). Just my .02
    Dave
    -'07 Acura TL Type-S
    -'07 Honda Ridgeline RTS
    -'00 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by VTC_WS6 View Post
    Granted it's not a GM, but what you're describing is prototypical of a Honda alternator failure (I work for Honda, don't hate me lol). Just my .02
    That's what I'm thinking. The Optima Red Top I have is the only other thing I think it could be. I guess the smart thing to do would be to have the battery tested 1st (just incase it's the battery) since it's an easy deal to get out (unlike the alt). So, it looks like Friday night, that's what I'll be doing. If that's for sure not the culprit, my Saturday is going to be 'tons-o-fun' on the garage floor.

lol! Have a cold one on me!
    Dave
    -'07 Acura TL Type-S
    -'07 Honda Ridgeline RTS
    -'00 Pontiac Trans Am WS6