Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem connecting...?

Default Problem connecting...?

I have just picked up a 98 camaro ls1 that came with efi live. The previous owner said he has had a problem with connecting and now I seem to have the same. I have tried loading all the correct usb drivers and the most recent version for V1 ( 7.5 ) and still can't get a connection. It says " no interface cable found ". When I plug the cable into the obd port the led's cycle though on the interface but none stay on unless I press the start/stop for logging. Should there be any led's lit up just on a connection?

make sure your battery voltage is not low.

It's a new battery. I show 12.8 volts not running. Should there be any leds lit up when you connect the interface to the obd port w/o having a usb connection?

Check the CIG/ASSY fuse.

Just check, fuse is good. When I plug the cable into the port I am able to press the start/stop logging and it will light up the leds, but I am unable to stop it. Possible bad interface?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow4u View Post
    I have just picked up a 98 camaro ls1 that came with efi live. The previous owner said he has had a problem with connecting and now I seem to have the same. I have tried loading all the correct usb drivers and the most recent version for V1 ( 7.5 ) and still can't get a connection. It says " no interface cable found ". When I plug the cable into the obd port the led's cycle though on the interface but none stay on unless I press the start/stop for logging. Should there be any led's lit up just on a connection?
    No, there should be no LEDs illuminated when the cable is not doing anything - even when its connected.

The LEDs will illuminate in the following circumstances:

• LOG: When validating PIDs or logging data
    • MEM: When logged data is 95% full it will flash, when it is 100% full it will stay illuminated.
    • PGM: When reading or programming a controller
    • OBD: When an OBD message is sent or received between FlashScan and the vehicle. This LED normally flashes when the ignition is cycled.
    • USB: When a USB message is sent or received between FlashScan and the PC. This LED normally flashes when the software attempts to connect to FlashScan.

When you press the Start/Stop button you are most likely performing the PID validation. See page 109 of the Scan Tool Users Manual for more info.

Also check that you have the correct cable type selected in the Scan Tool software: Edit->Properties->[Connection]->Preferred interface cable type->EFILive FlashSCan V1 (USB).
    Or make sure you have "Scan all cable types" checked.

If that does not help, please see this thread for checking and fixing the USB settings in FlashScan.
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3908 (see my post #6)

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Paul,

Sorry for being off-topic. Everytime I see your signature, it reminds me of a once famous Australian by the name of DCT Bennet (Wing Commander DCT Bennet, he set up and ran the Pathfinders in WWII).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bennett

In his book "Pathfinder" he had a saying much like yours:
    "The only comfort in having little knowledge is having little knowledge of how little knowledge one has."

Apologies for the burst of philosophy quotes.

Ok, so I got the connection with the interface cable to work, now for some reason I cannot detect my pcm? In scan tool it shows the interface register than when it goes to detect the pcm, no luck. Same thing if I try to read the pcm through the tuning program it won't detect the status of the pcm... I have checked the fuses to verify I have power to the obd2 port and am also able to pull codes with a scanner and no connection issues, any ideas? The pcm is a 98 and I have verified I have the right interface cable and pcm selected.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

After you try and connect with the Scan Tool software (and after it fails), select the menu option: File->Generate Error Report. Save the report and email it to me at paul@efilive.com Include a link to this thread so I know what it is about.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I will do that after work... Is there any chance I have the wrong obd2 cable? The previous owner said he sent the cable into efilive for a replacement because they thought it was a bad cable... I cant even get the interface to validate the pid's...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast