Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam feedback

Default cam feedback

just after some feed back on driveability of the following cams if anybody has any experience with them thanks.
    LS1 2001 stock heads M6 3.73 gears
    comp cams XR281HR 228-230@.050 112LSA
    crow cams 8711528RH 226-231@.050 110LSA

Hi HINDZY, I have the XR281HR in my ls1 A4 with 3.73's, It's a Great performing cam for an off the shelf grind. Has a good idle and very broad power range. It's only been in my car for about 3 weeks and hoping to get on the dyno this week, With my mods it should make around the 300rwkw mark.
    Just remember that as you close the LSA they get a little more choppy at idle and take a bit more work to get right but probably make a little bit more down low power. IMO i would go with the comp cam as people get good consistant results with them.

Regards James.
    2004 VY2 Clubsport, COMP 228/230 .571"/.573" 112LSA, Patriot gold springs, Rollmaster, Manley pushrods, 1.7 YT ultralites, 25% Underdrive, Pacemaker 1.75" 4 into 1's, Magnaflo metal cats, twin Difilippo 2.5", KAAZ LSD with 3.73's, Stone Racing 4L60E, EFILIVE COS5 OLSD, PLX SM-AFR/DM-5. 380rwhp/696nm

i have tune a vyss with the comp cam you mention with a mafless tune and otrcia,1 3/4" 4 to 1 headers and dual 3" exhaust made 416rwhp on the dyno
    max out the injectors but.owner has ordered 42lb injectors

how is the drivability with the comp cam around town is there any surging at low RPM light throttle? The reason i ask is i currently have the crow cam and have yet to be able to tune the surging out i have improved it dramatically but it still doesn't like light throttle under 2000RPM. I was thinking of changing to the comp cam with a larger LSA. Any thoughts?
    thanks

The 226-231x110 has 8.5 degrees of overlap @ 0.050"
    whereas the 228-230x112 has 5* @ 0.050".
    Not much difference.
    Which translates to them both having idle issues and far from stock traffic-driving manners.
    They are basically mid-level race cams but ppl seem to think they are great for the street.
    What the heck, the laws of Physics aren't that difficult to change!

slight surging between 1700 to 1900rpm,mainly if you are in 3 or 4 gear

Quote Originally Posted by HINDZY View Post
    how is the drivability with the comp cam around town is there any surging at low RPM light throttle? The reason i ask is i currently have the crow cam and have yet to be able to tune the surging out i have improved it dramatically but it still doesn't like light throttle under 2000RPM. I was thinking of changing to the comp cam with a larger LSA. Any thoughts?
    thanks
    I have the crow cam in mine & also have a problem with surging at 1700rpm. One thing I have found with this cam is if you leave it a bit on the rich side in the idle cells, & make the transition into the surrounding cells smooth you can almost remove the surging completely. Some days it is gone altogether.
    Are you running open or closed loop? Maf or mafless?
    The Tremor at AIR

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    I have the crow cam in mine & also have a problem with surging at 1700rpm. One thing I have found with this cam is if you leave it a bit on the rich side in the idle cells, & make the transition into the surrounding cells smooth you can almost remove the surging completely. Some days it is gone altogether.
    Are you running open or closed loop? Maf or mafless?
    Im running open loop mafless on cos5 but not using TP VE at moment.
    Ill try running a little richer and see how that goes.
    Are you running the crow in an A4 or M6?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid447 View Post
    The 226-231x110 has 8.5 degrees of overlap @ 0.050"
    whereas the 228-230x112 has 5* @ 0.050".
    Not much difference.
    Which translates to them both having idle issues and far from stock traffic-driving manners.
    They are basically mid-level race cams but ppl seem to think they are great for the street.
    What the heck, the laws of Physics aren't that difficult to change!
    I realise theres not much difference between the two cams but as i am no expert in the field i thought that the slight difference in LSA may solve my problem without dropping the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by HINDZY View Post
    Im running open loop mafless on cos5 but not using TP VE at moment.
    Ill try running a little richer and see how that goes.
    Are you running the crow in an A4 or M6?
    I am running an M6, also open loop mafless on COS5.
    The Tremor at AIR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast