Thread: 3 bar open or closed loop setup?

Lifetime Member

Default 3 bar open or closed loop setup?

For a 3 bar no Maf boosted setup, What is the best to run on a 95% street car? Boost open loop, or open loop, or closed loop? Can anyone explain this?
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    1000 HP 93 octane street car!
    96 lb injectors

You are always going to be in "open loop" under boost as a 14.7 AFR wouldn't be appropriate. This is the same whether you're using PE to set your fueling, or using the new table as described in the 2-3 bar setup instructions. For 3 bar, I'd probably use both PE and the fueling table.

Whether you want to let it go into closed loop under normal driving is up to you. It's not a bad thing, and it's good for the environment. Anywhere your fueling table is showing an EQ ratio of 1, you'll be in closed loop if you follow the instructions exactly. My setup is closed loop until I start asking for power.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Lifetime Member

With the latest software and custom O.S. would I be better of using the AFR/MAP feature?
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    1000 HP 93 octane street car!
    96 lb injectors

It certainly offers a lot more flexibility than a plain PE vs. RPM table. For reasons I won't get in to here, I'm temporarily using a tune that was done entirely with PE and VE. When I stabilize my fuel supply and get some more dyno time, I'll get it set up on the new table.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket
    With the latest software and custom O.S. would I be better of using the AFR/MAP feature?
    Yes BUT I would suggest for any newby ( especially with a engine such as your that could self destruct with one wrong programme very easily ) to do the base stuff first , wire your wastegates open and tune all the low speed stuff first.

2 reasons for that , it doenst look like you have had much experince and this stuff is a VERY steep learning curve , and it will also allow you to understand the trends that are happening wih the tune and then you can put safe paremeters in before youi go into boost.

No one will be able to give you a safe startup tune that has all the work done for you.

One thing I always tell my customers that are going the same route as you is to first get a experinced tuner to do the base tuning with your cable , then you can fine tune and play knowing that you can always go back and start agian from a known good tune. this is fairly easy if you have a stock motor but with a big combo it is a dnagerous and expensive game you are playing.

Remember experince costs $$$$ , and you have to pay for that either by breaking a few engines first or doing lots of years of development.

The software doesnt make you a tuner , surfing the net wont make you a tuner , practice and experince are the only thing that will get you there.

The software is only a tool - much like a torque wench , you wouldnt expect to buil da race engine just because you bought on at walmart.