Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, no start!

Default Help, no start!

I posted this on DP, but thought this would be a better forum for help:

Once again my truck is in a no start condition.

I don't think it's necessarily an EFI Live issue as I have had the same issue with my Predator, but here is the situation.

I had been running tune designed for sled pulling. Sled pulling is over so I decided to turn it back to stock.

I performed the proceedure as I always do (by the book) and as usual the system clears the calibration in memory and then fails when installing the new tune and puts me in a no start condition.

I have disconnected the batteries for hours and even pulled the plugs on the ECM (actually removed it from the truck at one point) to troubleshoot. I don't have the latest and greatest software/firmware, but I have not heard of others having this issue, so I don't think it's that.

Right after the "Erasing ECM flash memory...(please wait up to 45 seconds)" message I get:

Error: Failed. Controller has returned to normal operation, please retry the operation.

then

Reflash falied, aborting...

and then all else is fine

I did notice that at all other phases of the operation, the orange(ish) and green lights flash but when it gets to the failed step the 3rd light from the right on the V2 (blue light) blinks once (I think it's once).

Is that an indication of anything?

Any help is appreciated as I'm going to have to call in "sick" to work

What model?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    What model?

I have an 06 LBZ. I can get any other information you need, just let me know what to get.

Update: Truck finally started.

I tried flashing it 7 times this morning and it worked on the 7th time.

I still can't make any sense of it. Sometimes I flash and the first time it works perfectly, and other times I'm down for days. This has happened with my Diablosport Predator and EFI Live V2 so I don't think it's a software issue. It has to be something with my truck, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it. I am very hesistant to program my truck as it seems like Russian Roulette. I do the same procedure every time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't......

Is there a bench harness available (would eliminate my truck wiring and other onboard components as issues)?

Also, is there replacement ECM's available for the LBZ? If so is there a way to clone them or do I have to burn my second license just to have a backup?

Thanks for any help.

With the LBZ you (and we) are at the mercy of Bosch, the entire reprogramming process is handled internally by the ECM, so if it doesn't work then there is little anyone can do. Thankfully, if it fails then your best bet (as you did) is to pull the battery power and try again, the ECM should always be recoverable.

It shouldn't cause a problem on the LBZ, but many users have issues with they hook up aftermarket iPod adaptors, XM Radio adaptors, some of these require connection to the vehicle data bus, unfortunately they also cause major problems when programming. But as i said, this should not be as much of a problem on the LBZ.

You can get a bench harness for the LBZ ECM from www.speartech.com , but it's probably going to be a bit pricey for the home user to condsider.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

How long does the battery need to be disconnected?
    I unplugged it for several hours at one point (which didn't help). I don't know if I should have waited longer or if that was too long, etc.

If it's (the bench harness) less than $200 it's worth it to me as to not have to miss any more work....

Also, if I find a spare ECM, is there any way to clone it as it will be used solely in my truck with the same VIN, or will that chew up another license?

Thank again!

With the LBZ you (and we) are at the mercy of Bosch, the entire reprogramming process is handled internally by the ECM, so if it doesn't work then there is little anyone can do. Thankfully, if it fails then your best bet (as you did) is to pull the battery power and try again, the ECM should always be recoverable.

It shouldn't cause a problem on the LBZ, but many users have issues with they hook up aftermarket iPod adaptors, XM Radio adaptors, some of these require connection to the vehicle data bus, unfortunately they also cause major problems when programming. But as i said, this should not be as much of a problem on the LBZ.

You can get a bench harness for the LBZ ECM from www.speartech.com , but it's probably going to be a bit pricey for the home user to condsider.

Cheers,
    Ross

Normally pulling battery power only needs to be done for a couple of minutes.

I think the harnesses are more than $200.

If you get a spare ECM then you will use up another license, EFILive does not license to a VIN, rather an ECM.

The other thing I haven't asked was when the last time you updated your software / V2 firmware?

Cheers,
    Ross

I am going to update tomorrow.
    What is the latest (non Beta) software and firmware revisions?

Thanks again.

Normally pulling battery power only needs to be done for a couple of minutes.

I think the harnesses are more than $200.

If you get a spare ECM then you will use up another license, EFILive does not license to a VIN, rather an ECM.

The other thing I haven't asked was when the last time you updated your software / V2 firmware?

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post

Also, if I find a spare ECM
    Spare ECMs are available here...

http://socaldiesel.com/2EFILive.htm
    2007 CC/SB 4WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SD Sleeves, SoCal Diesel

2002 CC/DRW 2WD, McRat EFI Live, Trans, Trans Cooler and C3 clutch oiling mod by Mike L., SoCal Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by The Neens View Post
    Spare ECMs are available here...

http://socaldiesel.com/2EFILive.htm

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast