Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RR question

Default RR question

Probably a stupid question but Do both USB plugs have to be in the lap top.The one from RR and the one from the V1 box?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by driver456 View Post
    Probably a stupid question but Do both USB plugs have to be in the lap top.The one from RR and the one from the V1 box?
    For RR, all you need is one port to read/write data key on/off, makes no difference. However, if you plan to go realtime w/RTACS, you need incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing line to change the RR.
    07 Silverado DMax Classic
    02 Z06 LS3 416, 805rwhp, TFS245, Wiseco, Callies Crank/Rods, Iskendarian Lifters, Crower Rockers, FAST102/90, ATI Damper, 1-7/8 Kook's LT, QkTime Shield,Tolle-Fab 8pt
    Old Engine: 1/4mile = 9.6/146 New Engine:?

EFI Live Tune/Scan v7.5.27, EFI Live Scan and Tune v8.2.23, build 276, BootBlock 2.07.06, FirmWare 2.07.52, 512K RoadRunner (12.14.R), Innovate Serial LC2x2

COS5/12212156 For 2002 Z06 Manual Vette

Quote Originally Posted by TFZ_Z06 View Post
    For RR, all you need is one port to read/write data key on/off, makes no difference. However, if you plan to go realtime w/RTACS, you need incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing line to change the RR.
    Key on/off,Meaning ignition key? OK so I can make changes to the pcm w/ignition key on or off,Right? Also can you explain alittle about incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing LINE to change the RR.Thanks for the quick reply..................Paul

Lifetime Member

Key on/off,Meaning ignition key? OK so I can make changes to the pcm w/ignition key on or off,Right? Also can you explain alittle about incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing LINE to change the RR.Thanks for the quick reply..................Paul
    NON RTACS MODE: (you manually start writes)
    Correct, you do not need the ignition key on to read/write the RoadRunner. Its gets its read/write power source from the USB port, not vehicle.

RTACS MODE: (software automatically writes changes based on dlog)
    1 USB for READING datalog from OBD2 port and external data such as widebands or other inputs.
    1 USB for WRITING the RoadRunner

SCANNER ON AND RUNNING:
    The only way RTACS mode will work is when the RR is in "REALTIME" editing mode (this is in the RR dialog box) and the datalogging is in RECORD mode (the little RED, no yellow button ) in the scanning software.

Example: You are going to real time update the VE table via RTACS. You would need at a minimum to log the x, y coordinates of the VE table in the datalog, SAE.RPM and SAE.MAP. RTACS interpolates which cell to update from that data. Also, make sure the units in the datalogger are the same as in the tune tool otherwise, it will not work right.

I have a software animator and will try and post up a real time example if EFI Live has no objection. I would suggest you get familiar w/the software for using RR/RTACS by first experimenting w/the engine off, key on. That way you can get a datalog and undo potentially harmful changes.
    07 Silverado DMax Classic
    02 Z06 LS3 416, 805rwhp, TFS245, Wiseco, Callies Crank/Rods, Iskendarian Lifters, Crower Rockers, FAST102/90, ATI Damper, 1-7/8 Kook's LT, QkTime Shield,Tolle-Fab 8pt
    Old Engine: 1/4mile = 9.6/146 New Engine:?

EFI Live Tune/Scan v7.5.27, EFI Live Scan and Tune v8.2.23, build 276, BootBlock 2.07.06, FirmWare 2.07.52, 512K RoadRunner (12.14.R), Innovate Serial LC2x2

COS5/12212156 For 2002 Z06 Manual Vette

if you only have only1 USB port
    the RR can be used with a bluetooth cable.
    Last edited by mr.prick; October 2nd, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

Well so far so good.Got the RR working,Tomorrow I will put it in the car and see how it worksThanks for the help .........Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    if you only have only1 USB port
    the RR can be used with a bluetooth cable.
    Where would the bluetooth plug into on the laptop? I have 2 USB ports,But I really need 3.One for the RR,One for EFILIve scan and one for my tracball mouse.My laptop mouse does not work.Would a single male USB plug with double female ends work for the tracball and scanner?..................Paul

In your case, the laptop would need to be equipped with bluetooth. If it isn't you would be better with the direct connection. I'm not sure on all the power requirements of the devices, but my RoadRunner likes the higher powered USB port.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

the RR does not tolerate sharing a USB port.
    at least mine didn`t when i tried to plug it into a USB hub.

I haven't tried, but that is a good tip. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    the RR does not tolerate sharing a USB port.
    at least mine didn`t when i tried to plug it into a USB hub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast