Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASR randomly turns off

Default Major IAC Issues

Okay so I've got a problem and I've been fighting it for like 2 days so I figured I'd come to you guys for some help. I recently put a cam in my car ( 227/231 .614/.617 111+4 ) When I put in the cam I also sent out my throttle body to be ported and polished. When the cam was first put in it wouldn't idle. My friend had the great idea of drilling the hole out bigger So we drilled it out to about 7/32 ish. Now it idles fine at first, but after driving for a while and getting the RPM's kinda high the idle will slowly climb up, and after like 20 minutes of "regular" driving it will be at like 2,000. Then when I'm driving I will get the cruise control affect.

Another thing that happens is the ASR will randomly turn off, I have been unable to pin point what causes this, but I was able to grab the SES light codes while it was off, see attached image. After the ASR turns off the car wont idle for crap. I feel like an idiot sittin at a red light in a nice car idling at 2,300rpm.

Right now the PCM is loaded with a MAFless AutoVE tune, because I'm trying to get my fuel tables close with the new cam. So that is why the MAF codes are thrown. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to tune a car that doesn't have a constant idle. The AutoVE will get me close, and then the idle will act up and everything goes downhill from there. I'm thinking that I need to get a decent idle first before I try and mess with the fuel tables. On Monday I am going to find someone with a aluminum welder that can close the hole so I can redrill to the stock size, and then use the set screw to adjust. I don't think that drilling the hole bigger would cause the Traction control to turn off...

Guys I really need some help here I'm stumped.

Attached SES Codes ---> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	3991

Thanks,
    -CoryF
    Last edited by CoryF; October 6th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    2001 Camaro SS #2070
    -K&N FIPK, P/P TB, 227/231 .614/.617 111+4, UD Pulley, LT headers, OFY, Dumped 3" Exhaust, !AIR, KONI 4/4, Spec 3+ w/ Aluminum Fly Wheel, 4.10's, Custom EFILive Tune

Have you tested your TPS ?
    Roy 98SSSSSS

After my classes this afternoon I am going to go out and warm the car up and find out what the current IAC steps are, and also the TPS voltage. I will post up that information as soon as I get it. Hopefully that will help fill in some of the blanks.

Thanks,
    -CoryF
    2001 Camaro SS #2070
    -K&N FIPK, P/P TB, 227/231 .614/.617 111+4, UD Pulley, LT headers, OFY, Dumped 3" Exhaust, !AIR, KONI 4/4, Spec 3+ w/ Aluminum Fly Wheel, 4.10's, Custom EFILive Tune

Alright I'd rather figure this out and be a little late to class Here is what i got.

Conditions:
    -Engine Coolant Temperature: 207*F 97.2*C
    -Desired Idle Speed: AC off=875 AC on=975
    -Intake Temperature: ~87*F ~30.5*C

Data:
    IAC Steps @ Idle w/ AC off: 2
    IAC Steps @ Idle w/ AC on: 61
    TPS @ 00.4% = 0.6V (Min, foot off the pedal)
    TPS @ 50.6% = 2.4V (~half throttle)
    TPS @ 99.0% = 4.1V (Max, pedal to the floor)

I hope this helps guys. I turned the set screw around about 2 days ago so this data was pulled with it about 1/8 turn out. let me know if there is something else I should log. I will also post up a copy of the current tune I am using. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Current AutoVE tune --> SDAutoVE_0019.tun

Thanks,
    -CoryF
    2001 Camaro SS #2070

Okay so I went out tonight and put a small piece of duct tape over the hole and recorded some more data. Here is what I've got with the hole closed off.

Conditions:
    -Engine Coolant Temperature: 200*F 93.3*C
    -Desired Idle Speed: AC off=875 AC on=975
    -Intake Temperature: ~75*F ~23.8*C

Data:
    IAC Steps @ Idle w/ AC off: 68
    IAC Steps @ Idle w/ AC on: 133
    TPS @ 00.4% = 0.6V (Min, foot off the pedal)
    TPS @ 50.6% = 2.4V (~half throttle)
    TPS @ 99.0% = 4.1V (Max, pedal to the floor)

I hope this helps guys. I also found a drill bit set and measured the hole in the throttle body. It turned out to be a 7/32" hole. From what I have found in other posts and from research, it looks like my hole is too big. The numbers seem much more "reasonable" with the hole totally shut... I didn't drive it with the hole closed, so I don't know how the drivability was. It seems that I should be looking a little harder for an aluminum welder.

Another thing that I wonder about is when I turned the set screw around, how do I know that the blade is strait up and down. I understand that this is a adjust, test, adjust, test... kinda deal but I think that if the hole is too big in the blade then I'm wasting time because there will always be too much air getting in no matter how much I adjust it.

I would still love to hear from others, and see what they think. I don't want to be spoon fed the answers, but at this point I need a shove in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    -CoryF
    Last edited by CoryF; October 6th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
    2001 Camaro SS #2070

I'm reading along.

Default Update

I have found someone with a welder but they cant get it done till Thursday.

Does anyone have any input on where I should aim for my IAC steps to be? The mods that are done to the car are in my signature. Most places I have read say between 60-70 with AC off. Since the limits are 0-160 wouldn't I want to be right around 80 so that the value can travel both ways equal amounts... (that is what makes sense to me lol )

Also while I'm waiting for the welder, I would really appreciate it if someone could take a glance through the tune that I posted up a few posts back, just to make sure nothing is gonna blow up. I just wanna know if what I got so far looks good.

Thursday after I get the blade welded and re-drilled, I'll post up where I'm at and if it helped fix the idle/traction control issues I am having.

Thanks,
    -CoryF
    2001 Camaro SS #2070

CoryF. Any where around 60 steps is where you want to aim for hot AC off. The reason being is this is where the IAC motor has greater control over airflow due to the pintle design. Once over about 120 steps there is very little control left as the seat is fully uncovered.
    The Tremor at AIR

Quote Originally Posted by CoryF View Post

Another thing that happens is the ASR will randomly turn off, I have been unable to pin point what causes this, but I was able to grab the SES light codes while it was off, see attached image. After the ASR turns off the car wont idle for crap.

Hi Cory,

Have you checked the wiring for the TPS sensor...?
    Have you checked for correct behaviour of the TPS sensor by viewing the TPS pid...?

The PCM and the ABS controllers both share the TPS signal...

The DTC pic shows P0122, P1122, C0237... both PCM and ABS controllers agree that there is a problem with the TPS signal.

Also, check all the fuses.

I heard/read somewhere that it is preferable to not enlarge the hole as this removes control over the air "leaking" thru it... IAC closes all the way but too much air is still getting thru... posts #4 and #5 show this (IAC Steps 2 -> IAC passage is closed; IAC Steps 68 -> midway open as 5.7ute/Mick said).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast