Thread: Beginning tuner - Needs lots of help

Default Beginning tuner - Needs lots of help

I am just getting started on tuning. I have purchased EFI live and have done a few logs and updated my buddy's car. It is a 98 Firebird LS1 that has a bigger cam that lopes at idle, surges and dies sometimes, and has a hard start warm/hot. He currently has a mail order tune in his PCM and I want to learn how to do this. I have done the SD open loop configuration, and the car runs good, and going to SD closed loop, the fuel trims are all OK, but the map has several peaks. When I enabled the maf, the fuel trims are off 5-10% from before, so I guess I need to adjust that. I'm not sure how to start. Is there a step by step guide for the rank beginner that is new to tuning?

I am a 28+ year professional tech, but have not done any tuning until purchasing this tool.

I really thrive no theory of operation, but right now I need to know what to do and how to do it. Any and all help is appreciated.

Have you read the auto ve quide and all the stickies? There is alot of information in them, and just take your time.

Do you have a wide band?

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    Have you read the auto ve quide and all the stickies? There is alot of information in them, and just take your time.

Do you have a wide band?
    I did print and read and perform the auto ve with my wideband. My fuel trims are all OK, until I plug in the MAF, so I guess I need to redo the MAF tables, but I'm not sure how.

Is there a step by step procedure somewhere that works for every car?

I would really like to have a "theory of operation" along with the step by step if possible. I really like to know how/why things work. It helps me get a better handle on them.

Thanks.