Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCV Catch Cans for Sale

Default PCV Catch Cans for Sale

In effort to help my fellow tuners with mysterious MAP, IAC, MAF, & KR problems, I've started fabricating and selling PCV Catch Cans. I have two styles available, top draining ($35 USD + shipping) and bottom draining ($45 USD + shipping).

The catch cans are pre-assembled and ready to install. Installation takes <30 minutes and requires a flat-blade screwdriver. Catch cans are available in black, silver, red, or un-painted (specify the color you'd like and I'll try to match it) and include installation instructions.

Please PM, Email (TAQuickness@houston.rr.com), or reply to this thread if you have any questions or would like to purchase one a catch can.

Silver Top Draining:

Silver Bottom Draining:

Black Bottom Draining:

Red Bottom Draining:

Please explain to the mechanically challenged (me) the benefit of this?.
    I am assuming that the current setup from the factory sucks too much oil through?.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

The LS1/LS6 family does a very nice job of wetting down the intake and intake runners with oil from the PCV system.

How is your catch can baffled on the inside? You have to have an air/oil seperator for it to work. If its just a hollow can, then its effect will be minimal. Can't tell you how many version I built in the last 5+ years.

Using the LS6 valley PCV system over the old FBody LS1 stock PCV systems helps quite a bit. Couple that with a good oil/air seperator and it's mostly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Please explain to the mechanically challenged (me) the benefit of this?.
    I am assuming that the current setup from the factory sucks too much oil through?.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Ross - 100% correct. My car would pull about 1 tablespoon of oil per 100 miles. That's just under 1/2 qt per 3000 miles. This was also causing exsessive KR for me (up to 8.8* KR). I currenlty empty the catch can every other fill up. I could go longer, but every other seems to work fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Skiba
    The LS1/LS6 family does a very nice job of wetting down the intake and intake runners with oil from the PCV system.

How is your catch can baffled on the inside? You have to have an air/oil seperator for it to work. If its just a hollow can, then its effect will be minimal. Can't tell you how many version I built in the last 5+ years.

Using the LS6 valley PCV system over the old FBody LS1 stock PCV systems helps quite a bit. Couple that with a good oil/air seperator and it's mostly effective.
    I'm not sure how to explain how it's baffled, but I can asure you it is baffled and works quite well. I have been running a test mule in my bird for over a year now with great success.

Lifetime Member

Let me rephrase. It's not an empty can right? It has a divider for inlet /outlet and some sort of filteration media to seperate the oil mist and have the oil drop to the bottom? From your picture it looks like it does a good job. Do you take off the intake periodically to see how much oil is on the runners in the heads?

I've been fortunate as none of my LS1s even remotely close used to a 1/2 qt every 3000 miles, but none the less, an unfiltered PCV system will puddle quite a bit of oil in the intake and the intake runners. And it definitely seems to be a cause of KR.

Ross - Bypassing the PCV system does affect tuning if you haven't tried it yet. That's why we use catch cans.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    The PCV hose comes from the rear of the two valve covers.
    When you accelerate, the following sequence occurs:
    a. lots of oil gets pumped to the rockers,
    b. said oil flows to rear of valve cover (g-force),
    c. said oil gets sucked thru PCV valve and into intake manifold.

I was seeing 1 quart every 1000 miles (...GM dealer says "that is normal oil consumption"... LOL HA HA).
    Can be expensive if you use synthetic oil.
    As TAQuickness said, I was seeing quite a bit of knock (7° for 10 seconds at a time... ouch...).

And of course, it's not a good idea to bypass the PCV subsystem; you want the crankcase to be under vacuum for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by John Skiba
    Let me rephrase. It's not an empty can right? It has a divider for inlet /outlet and some sort of filteration media to seperate the oil mist and have the oil drop to the bottom? From your picture it looks like it does a good job. Do you take off the intake periodically to see how much oil is on the runners in the heads?

I've been fortunate as none of my LS1s even remotely close used to a 1/2 qt every 3000 miles, but none the less, an unfiltered PCV system will puddle quite a bit of oil in the intake and the intake runners. And it definitely seems to be a cause of KR.

Ross - Bypassing the PCV system does affect tuning if you haven't tried it yet. That's why we use catch cans.

Correct, It's not an empty can. There is a baffle installed to deflect the air flow to the bottom of the can. The baffle system cools the oil causing the vapors to condense leaving the oil in the can.

Lifetime Member

Received my catch can today and it looks very professional. Shipping was fast and the install went like a breeze. Thanks TAQuickness for a cheaper alternative. Mine is even painted silver to match my car
    EFILive - The Single version of the Truth

Larry - HumpinSS

Sounds great, too bad it won't make it any faster

Any ideas on what the performance will be like on a forced induction Gen3 motor ?

I am interested.. LMK..

Todd

1993 BMW 325is <- For Sale
    2003 Silverado LS 4x4 <--- you want to autocross what?
    2005 Avalanche 5.3L LS(EFI Live tuned) <-- my gas hog running on e85 3+ years now
    2012 Subaru Outback (wife's daily)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast