Thread: ? ON CUSTOM O.S. & 2000-2002 FLASH

Lifetime Member

Default ? ON CUSTOM O.S. & 2000-2002 FLASH

Ok, I need to set my PCM up the best I can.

I will load the 7.3 software

Then do I reflash my 2000 pcm to a 2002? OR just reflash it to a #3 custom O.S.? In what order do I do this and can anybody give me a quick rundown of what I need to do it. I tried to load the custom o.s but I am not sure I am doing it correctly. It tells me my pcm is not matching the correct O.S. #. I am pretty confused. :cry:
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    1000 HP 93 octane street car!
    96 lb injectors

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Go here: http://www.efilive.com/doc/index.html
    and download and read the Custom operating system upgrade tutorial.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

One thing I don't understand? I have a 2000 f-body pcm.
    I downloaded the 2002 custon o.s. and base files. Why are there so many files in the folder? I opened 02030003 file and tried to flash to my pcm and it said something about the operating systems are different. DO I flash the base 2002 file first or the 02030003 file? Which number should I be opening, Which one do I NEED? There are alot of files for both the base and custom o.s. folders.

What am I doing wrong?

I am running a 3 bar with no maf with the twin setup.

Also, I am assuming I need that commercial liscence? I don't have it yet. Wait4me is supposed to be sending it to me anytime now.
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    96 lb injectors

There are two sets of files for custom tunes:
    1. *.cal files which define the format and layout of the calibrations in the PCM.
    2. *.tun files which contain the customized PCM operating system - but DO NOT have calibration data - the calibration data must be supplied by you - see below for a more detailed explanation of that.

The sequence of events is this:

Make sure you are using the latest V7.3 release - upgrade your software if required.

1. Read your PCM and save a copy of it in a safe place (Read and save more than one copy if you are paranoid).

2. Perform a FULL flash (commercial license needed) of the *.tun file that matches your current operating system. Figure out which one matches your current operating system on page 4 of the Custom OS Tutorial.

In your case you chose 02030003.tun which is ok.
    You could have chosen any of the 02??0003.tun files. The only reason to choose one over another is, if you do have a matching GM operating system - then you can reflash the calibration from your GM operating system into the EFILive custom operating system.

Because you are upgrading your operating system from 2000 to 2002, you won't be able to use your existing calibrations from your 2000 operating system (presumably OS=9381344) in the 2002 operating system - so pick whichever one you want. You will however, need to obtain a base/stock calibration that matches the operating system to which you are upgrading.

Here: http://www.stealthv.com/tunes.htm
    or here: http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/

i.e.
    If you choose: 12212156->02020003, then you'll need to find a 2002 C5 or Camaro *.tun file (OS=12212156) that will contain a stock calibration that you can flash into the 02020003 operating system.
    If you choose: 12221588->02030003, then you'll need to find a 2002 C5 or Camaro *.tun file (OS=12221588) that will contain a stock calibration that you can flash into the 02020003 operating system.
    If you choose: 12593358->02040003, then you'll need to find a 2002 Z06 *.tun file (OS=12593358) that will contain a stock calibration that you can flash into the 02020003 operating system.

3. After the FULL flash is done, the PCM will contain a blank calibration - that means the car won't start. You now need to perform a calibration only reflash (not a FULL reflash) with one of the stock *.tun files that I mentioned above.

4. Once the stock calibration is flashed in then you must "sanitise" the EFILive custom calibration values. They need to be sanitised because the memory that they occupy in the PCM will contain unknown values.

I strongly recommend following the steps in the tutorial.

I will also get the tutorial updated to help people with 99/00 PCMs decide on the correct custom OS to use.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket
    I opened 02030003 file and tried to flash to my pcm and it said something about the operating systems are different.
    If a custom calibration is opened in the EFILive Tuning Tool, the option to perform a "calibration only" relfash will be disabled. Only the FULL flash option will be enabled, and only if you have the Commercial or Workshop version.

An earlier version of EFILive allowed custom operating systems to be "calibration only" flashed into the PCM. Because the custom operating systems contain NO calibration data, performing a "calibration only" reflash would prevent your vehicle from starting - and in extreme circumstances can render your PCM permanently inoperable.

If you are able to start a "calibration only" reflash with a custom operating system loaded, then you may have an old version of EFILive.

Please make sure you have the latest version of EFILive V7.3 before attempting to upgrade your operating system.

See this page for the latest version:
    http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_730.html

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

My pcm has been dyno tuned with my engine, heads and cam before I turbo'ed it. Its a 2000. If I reflash to a 2002 operating system, I will not be able to use that tune and will have to start from scratch? OR, does it not matter if I lose my tune and start working with a stock 2002 file because I no longer have a 1 bar and no rear o2's and no MAF. What is your opinion on this?

I'm thinking would be better off just going with the '02 reflash and custom O.S., Is this the right choice?
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    96 lb injectors

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket
    My pcm has been dyno tuned with my engine, heads and cam before I turbo'ed it. Its a 2000. If I reflash to a 2002 operating system, I will not be able to use that tune and will have to start from scratch? OR, does it not matter if I lose my tune and start working with a stock 2002 file because I no longer have a 1 bar and no rear o2's and no MAF. What is your opinion on this?

I'm thinking would be better off just going with the '02 reflash and custom O.S., Is this the right choice?
    You won't be able to copy the tune directly into your PCM. However, you will still be able to copy individual tables and or calibrations into your new tune using the copy/paste features of EFILive.

Most of the old tune will need to be redone since you will now be running 2-bar and speed density.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

12221588->02030003 Do not go together with a camaro file. Only Vette? Am I correct?
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    96 lb injectors