Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: So.. was a new version released this weekend?

Default Cool thing is......

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_z28_six_speed View Post
    I have actually never used an 8 inch floppy...

I have tons of 5.25s and they all run. A lot of them are very old.
    Cool thing is I ran one of the largest "war games" type pirate sites around....

At the time, the system consisted of 4 atari 810 drives and then later graduated to a unit (forget the name right now) which was a CPM emulator which allowed me to trick the Atari in running 4 double sided/double density IBM drives addressed as Drive# 0-3 and Drives 4-7 were 4 large 8" double sided drives that never shut off.... Pretty neet...Run a program (like winzip) called SCRUNCH....and I had more drive capacity than the us government!

I'd come home from school an my website was crippled, turns out mom and dad would hear the big 8" drives spinning all the time (cause that's what they did) and figured I "left them on" while at school....Duh.

Funny thing is, I still have most of this stuff....I gotta pull it all out one day and see if my disks still have data on them...or if the data melted.

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

ah, those were the days ... Learned progamming over the course of a year spending most after-school time at a local store on their exhibit Spectrum ... finally my parents decided it would be better if I was on a computer at home, so we went to buy one ... luckily, somebody recommended getting a C64 instead of the Spectrum (while we were waiting for them to get it from the back) ....

I guess most of nowadays' kids will have a problem writing code for embedded devices with limited memory and CPU ... today's solution usually is upgrading ... instead of optimizing ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    I guess most of nowadays' kids will have a problem writing code for embedded devices with limited memory and CPU ... today's solution usually is upgrading ... instead of optimizing ...
    Interesting fact: FlashScan V1 has 8KB of flash memory and the code takes up all but 8 bytes of memory. It was about 500 bytes over and I spent a considerable amount of time optimizing the code so it would fit.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Interesting fact: FlashScan V1 has 8KB of flash memory and the code takes up all but 8 bytes of memory. It was about 500 bytes over and I spent a considerable amount of time optimizing the code so it would fit.
    I hear you ... I still remember the days on my good ol' 64 ... I had programmed a tool that let you erase images out of games ... in order to be as versatile as possible (remember them 202block long files that would take up all the space from $0801 through $cfff?), and with it being larger than the tape buffer in version 2, I opted to put it in the screen buffer ... you had to load it with the sys-command to call it in the same line in order to get it running ... and do it in the last line of the screen, otherwise the "ready" return message from the load process would destroy the code, which meant I had something like 900 bytes for the whole program

it was fun doing that low level hacking when I built my quartermile timing gear ... 16k of flash ... luckily, this is plenty, I think I'm somewhere around 10k or so at the moment ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Default Z80

I cut my teeth on a Z80 machine with 4K DRAM...

I remember writing an integer division routine where I rotated each new quotient bit into the same register as the dividend (i.e. into the upper bits since the dividend was getting "smaller" with each iteration) to avoid using the other registers or any memory...

I hated the 8080 mnemonics but I loved the Z80 ones...

LOL, and where I'm from we say "zed 80" instead of "zee 80"...

Code:
    ; 16/8 bit integer division
    ; HL <- dividend
    ; D  <- divisor
    ; H  -> remainder
    ; L  -> quotient
    div168  ld    e,0
            ld    b,8
    divlp   add   hl,hl
            xor   a
            sbc   hl,de
            jp    p,divskp
            add   hl,de
            dec   hl
    divskp  inc   hl
            djnz  divlp
            ret
    Last edited by joecar; November 22nd, 2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added Z80 long division routine...

Don't get me started!!, all this talk of 8bit CPU's and code optimisation for ultimate speed with a 1Mhz Xtal and 64K of RAM......
    It's funny when you think the amount of 'space' this message takes in HTML could have been a great game on on old computer.

Chuck, if you have all that old school stuff, clean it up and treasure it, nostalgic computers are going up in value.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Vista will install to C:\Program Data\EFILive\V8
    XP/2K will install to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\EFILive

Blame Microsoft for that little gem of consistency.
    I do believe that you mean the opposite for vista/2k8 vs 2k3/xp/win2k. Am I mistaken?
    E35A/A40 + DSP5

I seriously considered just installing EFILive into C:\EFILive and just opting out of Microsoft's "best practices" altogether. I may still do that...
    Seems like most of the tuning applications out there are setup in the root of C as you mention.

Personally I am ok with the current setup. I frankly would much rather have my tunes and configuration under my profile directory and not the program files. It makes it much easier in the event that I need to rebuild or upgrade. I can just grab one folder for backup and go.
    E35A/A40 + DSP5

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post

Vista will install to C:\Program Data\EFILive\V8 (I was incorrect to put a space in my first post, there is no space between Program and
    Data).
    XP/2K will install to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\EFILive

Blame Microsoft for that little gem of consistency.
    I do believe that you mean the opposite for vista/2k8 vs 2k3/xp/win2k. Am I mistaken?
    I don't think I am mistaken - unless I've misunderstood Microsoft's doco.

The Vista version of EFILive V8 will install program config data into \ProgramData\EFILive\V8
    The WinXp/Win2000 version of EFILive V8 will install config data into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\EFILive\V8

Microsoft considers those two folders to be the same.
    Goto to this web page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762584(VS.85).aspx
    Search for Known Folder ID: FOLDERID_ProgramData (used on Vista), and note that its CISDL is CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA (used on WinXP)

Then look up CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762494(VS.85).aspx

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I think I am confused. My bad. On my Vista box did notice that I have the v8 config files files in C:\programdata\efilive\ . I also have 7.5 and 8.x files in my C:\users\user\Documents\EFILive\V7.5 folder along with the C:\program files\EFIlive folder. They all have MAC dates indicating that they are from the 10/31/08 install.....

My findings support what you are saying: My files for the most part in Program Files.

I am assuming that this is the MS doc you were refering to as far as placement goes.....It is somewhat confusing.

http://blogs.msdn.com/cjacks/archive...ram-files.aspx
    E35A/A40 + DSP5

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast