Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple connection question from a noob

Default Simple connection question from a noob

Well being an Electromotive guy this will be the first time I will ever try tuning a factory ECM. I just bought a hybrid car that has an LS1 in it and the PO gave me the EFILive that he used to tune it. My question is can I connect the laptop directly to the OBD II port with a proprietary cable or does it have to go through the handheld? I will obviously have to purchase something since it doesn't look like he gave me all the pieces ie; cable or handheld.

Thanks for any info.

Joe

rags/Joe, welcome...

You connect to the OBD-II port via the handheld... otherwise you cannot connect directly from the PC/laptop.

Which handheld do you have:
    - V1 (LEDs only, two serial DB-9 connectors, USB-A connector);
    - V2 (LCD, LEDs, SD card slot, RJ12/RJ45 sockets, orange signal connectors, USB-B connector).

Do you mean he didn't give you the handheld...? Without the handheld you can't connect to car.

This is how you connect: Vehicle <--obd-ii-cable--> Handheld <--usb-cable--> PC/laptop

Did he give you the software...? The software is FREE.

Regards
    Joe

I don't think I have the handheld. What I have is a box with a CD, an OBD II cable with a female DB9 connector, another cable with a male to female DB9 and a little black box that has a window on it which I presume are LED's inside. There is no USB port on the black box. Is that a V1?

Thanks

Joe

Well I figured out what I have and know I don't have the handheld. I'll be contacting the PO tomorrow to see if he has it otherwise it looks like I'm going to have to buy new.

Joe

Can you post a pic...?

Does your black box has DB9 connectors on both ends...?

Sounds like you got the AutoTap cable which allows logging only.

Sorry it took so long to updat this, but I just recieved the V1 in the mail today from the PO! I was able to hook it up and can now see I have a 2000 OS. I've done some reading before I start making any changes and the first thing that interests me is the 2002 OS upgrade that a lot of people speak about. I have also found out it is not possible to upgrade the OS with my personal version of FlashScan v1.2. My question is can I have the OS of my ECM upgraded and keep the current tune? Once upgraded, could I just load other tunes created on the same OS from other members? And last but not least, if all of this is possible, who does the OS upgrading??

Thanks in advance for the info!

Joe

Hi Rags/Joe,

First do this: read the tune from the PCM and save it to file...
    copy the file to a CD and a USB memory fob and store in safe places.

Read the scantool/tunetool user manual pdf's.

Then get comfortable with logging using the scantool software and V1 black box mode.

I take it you bought the V1 FlashScan used...?

I pm'd Tech Support regarding a Commerical license.

To upgrade the OS (using Commercial), you copy all your tables (table-by-table) and all the non-engine segments over to a 12212156 file that is compatible with your car (e.g. 12212156 from a 2002 Camaro with A4), save the file, and then do a full-flash of this file...

You do the upgrading.

Yes, once you have 12212156 full-flashed in (2 minutes), any subsequent edits just require a cal-only-flash (30 seconds);

I wouldn't just load someone else's 12212156 tune... I would open it as the alternate file and look at the differences... then if I liked the differences, I would apply them to the calibration.

Cheers
    Joe

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The upgrade from Personal to Commercial is US $50
    I thought it was on the web site. If not, I'll add it and then you can purchase it if you want.

One thing to note is that if the PO used the V1 as an upgrade to V2 then you can't purchase any more PCM licenses for it. Send me the V1 serial number (send email to paul@efilive.com) and I can tell you if it has been used to obtain an upgrade to a V2 unit.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Joe,

Thanks for the advice! I already pulled the tune from the ECM and have it stored.

Yeah, I bought the Flashscan used. Actually it came with the car when I purchased the car.

Paul, Good to know. I have emailed you the serial number. I'd actually like to know pricing for everything I'd need to do to get my tuning up to current.

Joe

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The upgrade can be purchased here:
    http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...mart&Itemid=62

You don't have to purchase anything else. Once you have a Commercial Scan and Tune everything else is included (except tuning licenses).

There may be "available" slots on your V1 device. Runt he Tuning Tool and check Menu->FlashScan V1 PCM Licensing and see if any PCM license show up as "Available". If not then you'll need to buy at least one V1 PCM license for $99 here: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...mart&Itemid=85

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast