Thread: big brother down under

Default big brother down under

Australia to implement mandatory internet censorship
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...7-2862,00.html

The plan was first created as a way to combat child pronography and adult content,
    but could be extended to include controversial websites on euthanasia or anorexia.
    soon to be expanded to blocking web sites that promote "global warming".
    Last edited by mr.prick; October 30th, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    Australia to implement mandatory internet censorship
    http://forum.efilive.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=8

soon to be expanded to blocking web sites that promote "global warming".
    Probably not the link you actually wanted.....

The thing is, that just about every country has already implemented some form of Internet censorship, it's simply the level of censorship that is the controversial part. For example, I know that the companies that own the external links for Australia regularly place IP blocks on specific servers to proven access to them. Generally, this is to prevent Australians from accessing sites with malicious code on them. For the IT savvy, think SQL injection attacks that are used to download Trojan software.

While many people get upset because they "may" get blocked from some sites, generally they would be happy if they knew the type of stuff that is being "denied". Remember that in Australia, we don't have a Bill of Rights. Do I like the idea of some one else governing what I can or can't access ? Not really. Do I think it will make a huge difference on what I use the 'Net for? Probably not.

The other thing is how hard it is to impose any sort of filtering solution. Sure you can filter the well known stuff, but that's not doing a lot. It's the smaller, less know web sites and content servers that you want to "manage. Things like open proxy and open mail servers would be a start, but even they are very hard to manage. Filtering such a dynamic environment like the Internet is very hard work. Trust me on this.....

Finally, just remember that this is the same country that implemented a free web censorship application for school students, which was cracked by a 16 year old within 30 minutes of getting hold of a copy......

fixed
    it got me thinking of the whole google china thing.
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Understood, and the first reaction is usually one of scepticism. While personally I don't like it, there is simply too many people out there that don't have a clue about the Internet and it's use, let alone how to bring kids up with it! We hear so many comments like "Some one should protect us from this." "Why doesn't the government stop this sort of stuff?" Then, when the government mentions filtering...... they get all upset.

My kids know they have total access to the 'Net if they want it, but they also know I log everything.... So far the only time I've had to speak to them was when my eldest watched the entire Avatar: the Last Air Bender series on youtube and blew the down load limit. Hopefully it won't get any worse that that.......

"Why doesn't the government stop this sort of stuff?"
    i never say that.

my point is that there are people that for what ever reason feel the need to
    limit/control other people in some manner or another.

this particularly is not the end of the world,
    it is the rational of the powers that be to not trust anyone
    so we all live under thumb.
    IMO
    LC-1 WBO2