Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pulling timing not in program

Again, no expert here, but I would expect your engine to have some serious dynamic airflow changes when the throttle goes wide - and maybe on shift too. I was dyslexic when I typed {B5921} - that should have read {B5912} ;-)

If it were mine, I'd increase the burst knock delta or even disable temporarily and then find a way to determine if the PCM is trying to use the {B5912} to see if you can get to commanded timing.

You may want to smooth out the high oct. spark table too - I imagine it's that way because you're trying to solve this issue, but you may probably want to fit a spark curve to that to inversely follow the torque peak. If you're revving past 5600 rpm, your EGTs will likely go up quickly as the timing heads toward 10deg minus the boost table timing.

Hope this helps. I'm right behind you in getting to that problem. I hope to be finished wrestling with large injectors, idle quality, and low speed driveability on the dyno tomorrow. If I have time, I'll do some timing changes and give you real world feedback.

i zeroed out the burst knock and pulled 3 degrees form the high and low oct. maps. the power is much better and the timing is less erratick. i will post my newer logs and program. i did log the lm-01 but afr aren't the actual # but still help to smooth the ve table. it looks like i could use some more timing. thanks for the good info.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Oh, no problem. I actually haven't even gotten a chance to look at the tune yet since I destroyed one of the rear rotors on Friday and have been running around on the motorcycle in the snow trying to find parts to repair it.

The reason I was asking about the mods is because some of the cams with the long duration at high lift are very noisy and can actually give you false readings on the knock sensors at high RPMs.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

That looks better - at least the logged timing = high octane spark + KR. I agree that you probably need more timing - the boost retard table {A0010} will pull timing as needed for boost.

Closer look at cal and logs makes it really look like false knock triggering. Look at {B6244} (looks like weird random artifact in the table - unless there is something I have to learn about engines knocking arouns 800RPM under very light load) and {B6250} although based on the parameter description, {B6255} will win out since it has a higher value everywhere. {B6245} appears to be adding sensitivity at 4k also.
    Last edited by Dynotuner; November 9th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12