Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fuel dynamics mafless?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    I'v e been looking at dynamics a bit more and found another interesting point.

When running CL, if you get a large rich spike on throttle close, the O2's will pull a massive amount of fuel to bring the AFR's back to where they should be. If you then snap the throttle open again, you get a huge lean spike, as the O2's have pulled all the fuel out.
    What sort of time frame/load? Any logs of the lean/rich spikes? Have found similar quick throttle opens under no load to give a rich blip followed immediately by a lean blip then of course back to L=1.

OS 12212156/LS1
    I know this is a GENIV thread but I figured the dynamics stuff works the same.

The thing I worry about is if I change impact or evap what will this do to MAF/VE?
    LTFTs and WOT are good I don't want to change impact and/or evap then have to mess w/VE and/or MAF.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

OK, here's a few images of the dynamic overshoot....

Commanded AFR remains at stoich.

This was a take off from a stand still and shows the shifting up through the gears. The rich spike on throttle close is causing a subsequent lean spike on the next throttle opening.

Commanded AFR tranition to / from PE

This shows the transition to / from PE with throttle change. Again this was a take off and shows the overshoot getting worse.

Throttle Blip

This shows the results with throttle blips. Blips will always cause issues due to the rapid change in engine conditions.

Simon.

How is the intake valve temp measured?
    Can it be calculated based off ECT?
    All the dynamics stuff for GENIII are based off ECT.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    How is the intake valve temp measured?
    Can it be calculated based off ECT?
    All the dynamics stuff for GENIII are based off ECT.
    Its a mix of load, ECT, run time, fuel type. And maybe more...but those items do influence it.

This was an interesting read.... now 6 years later are the findings/theories still the same for modifying dynamics?

Also more than a vested interest since I have a SD maffless tune which "feels" better in OL rather than CL.....and am noticing some of the observations within this thread. Has a path been found for getting transients working without MAF ?
    UK spec 2009 HSV VXR8 6.2 LS3, E38, HeartBeat Supercharger running ~9psi,1 7/8" long tubes, cat back exhaust.
    Upgraded cam and springs of unknown specification, all I know is, it's a small cam with no overlap, suits the s/c.
    ATI damper, LS9 twin plate clutch, 548rwhp. twin PLX widebands to twin gauges.
    Currently running dismal HPTuners....NOW DUMPED !, Completed migration to EFIlive and slowly mapping it in.
    628rwhp.....with a lot of tuner help

I know this is an old thread but would like your thoughts on my LS3 e38 setup. Texas Speed cam 229/236 .629/.615 112 LSA, Hi-Ram intake stock injectors 90mmTB. As you can see I have a dual air intake which makes a maf sensor impossible.
    To me it shifts great and pulls great, except concerned wbo2 reads rich all the time (11.7-12.4). Only issue is not returning to idle, it hangs longer than it should and sometimes won't come down at all.
    Appreciate it if you have the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DualIntake.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	23822  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LS3 Manual 6 spd E38 os:12633056
    Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers w/3" exhaust
    Texas Speed cam 229/236 .629/.615 112 LSA
    Hi-Ram intake stock injectors 90mmTB

Quote Originally Posted by 5557nut View Post
    I know this is an old thread but would like your thoughts on my LS3 e38 setup. Texas Speed cam 229/236 .629/.615 112 LSA, Hi-Ram intake stock injectors 90mmTB. As you can see I have a dual air intake which makes a maf sensor impossible.
    To me it shifts great and pulls great, except concerned wbo2 reads rich all the time (11.7-12.4). Only issue is not returning to idle, it hangs longer than it should and sometimes won't come down at all.
    Appreciate it if you have the time.
    Hi mate, I have not downloaded your tune, however there is a VVE tutorial on here, also look at the e38 idle page on the last Cpl pages should help you.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by hymey View Post
    Hi mate, I have not downloaded your tune, however there is a VVE tutorial on here, also look at the e38 idle page on the last Cpl pages should help you.

Joel
    Hymey, Thanks...I have read both several times but have trouble with the airflow/spark relations, so many tables. Its a lot to take in but I do get more after rereading but I guess it takes time. Without a background in air/fuel/spark relations, it is a big learning curve.
    LS3 Manual 6 spd E38 os:12633056
    Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers w/3" exhaust
    Texas Speed cam 229/236 .629/.615 112 LSA
    Hi-Ram intake stock injectors 90mmTB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast