Thread: spark tables

Default spark tables

can you use the same method to the high oct sparktables as auto ve table ?
    {auto high oct table) rpm vs kpa and paste and subtract with lables the averages of knock ???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by drdarthinvader View Post
    can you use the same method to the high oct sparktables as auto ve table ?
    {auto high oct table) rpm vs kpa and paste and subtract with lables the averages of knock ???
    what I do is monitor the KR, and subtract the peak KR value + 1-2 from the affected cells, the added 1-2* removal is for safety (after taking into account other conditions that may cause KR such as lean spikes, etc. and trying to fix those issues first)

then I smooth out the surrounding fields by lowering them around 1/2 of the amount subtracted from the main cells.

for example if I get a peak of 3* KR at 2400 RPM and 0.24, I would subtract around 4-4.5* from that cell, and around 2* from all adjacent cells, and possibly a tiny bit more in other surrounding cells to smooth it all out, that way the spark map isn't pok marked with KR craters, it will be a smooth transition in spark, and the PCM can 'roll into' the proper spark advance, and not have a large drop in advance everytime it passes one of the KR craters.

if you know the KR is caused by the spark advance, you don't want to just subtract the average. the way KR works is that it peaks, then decays out. so the average will never equal the peak amount, and if you just remove the average, you'll never totally eliminate KR. you also don't want to be just on the threshold of KR by removing just the peak either, take a little extra out and keep logging, the little extra and smoothing will help ensure than KR is eliminated under varying conditions.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Lifetime Member

Something i have been interested in also,

http://cid-aa5111943bea515f.skydrive...0VE%201.01.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Gelf VXR View Post
    Something i have been interested in also,

http://cid-aa5111943bea515f.skydrive...0VE%201.01.pdf
    looks like a good read, I'm gonna have to read up on that when I've got some more time. thanks!
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos