Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Default LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

EFI Connection has been working on the coil per cylinder conversion on both the Gen1 and Gen2 (LT1) small block engnes since the Spring of this year.

Milestones:
    - April 2008: prototype 24x reluctor is made
    - May 2008: gen1 small block engine running on test stand
    - July 2008: LT1 engine running coil per cylinder on test stand with LS1 f-body calibration
    - September 2008: gen1 small block running on the road with electronic throttle and 4L60E
    - November 2008: CNC prototype 24x reluctor is made

Results
    The installation in the S10 has been very successful. The major benefit to using the LS1 PCM is that you can control many of the components on newer GM engines; such as electronic throttle, 4L60E/4L80E transmissions, and cruise control. This S10 went to the extreme by installing a 4L60E, Corvette electronic throttle body, and integrated cruise control. The engine made clean dyno pulls and resuted in 311hp/334ft-lb at the rear wheels. There are now over 1,000 miles on this S10 after the conversion!

Critical Conversion Pieces
    - 24x crank reluctor
    - 24x crank sensor
    - Vortec distributor (used only for cam sensor)
    - LSx PCM
    - 8 LSx Coils

Depending on the engine you're starting with, the conversion goes beyond the parts mentioned above. The significant change between the L31 Vortec engine (96-99 Trucks, 01-02 Express Van) is the 24x crank reluctor and 24x crank sensor. These engines must replace the current crankshaft reluctor and sensor with the 24x pieces.

EFI Connection's Approach
    We dismissed the idea of using the LS1 24x crankshaft reluctor due to its size and forseen installation difficulties. The LS1's 24x crank reluctor is large in diameter, balanced for the LS1 crankshaft, and would have to be installed either in front or in the rear of the crankshaft. Regardless of where it would be installed, there would still be problems with getting the reluctor in the proper orientation and crankshaft position sensor mounted in a reliable location. GM had the best solution with the Vortec 4x crank reluctor by installing it behind the sealed timing cover. Orientation is always correct due to the keyway that fits over the crankshaft's key. So we took the same approach and ended up with a 24x reluctor that is CNC cut from a new piece of steel. The Vortec 4x reluctor was not made to clear a double roller timing chain, so we made sure that our reluctor would allow adequate clearance for the installation of a double roller timing chain.

PCM and Calibration
    While the popular 12200411 PCM is recommended for its capabilities, you may use any Gen 3 LS type PCM (1997-2006). As a base calibration, the PCM must be loaded with any LS type calibration.

If your engine's throttle is cable driven, you'll use one of many 99-02 truck or 98-02 f-body calibrations. If your engine's throttle is electronic, you'll use one of many 98-05 Corvette or 00-06 truck and enjoy the benefits of integrated cruise control.

If using a 4L60E/4L65E transmission, you'll chose from one of many Camaro/Firebird, Corvette, or truck calibrations. If using a 4L80E transmission, you'll choose from one of many truck calibrations. If using a T56 6 speed manual transmission, you'll get reverse lockout support by using a Camaro/Firebird or Corvette calibration.

This 24x system opens up a whole new world of options to the early small block.

Are You Ready?
    We would like to work with a few people who are ready and willing to try out this conversion. It's new...so we're not making any guarantees. What we can do is explain our experience and let you know what to expect with your installation. With over 1,000 miles on the first engine to get this conversion, dyno pulls resulting in smooth graphs, and expected horsepower/torque numbers, I am confident that this system works and will bring all of the benefits of the LS1 fuel management system to the early small block. Please email me at mike@eficonnection.com if you are now ready for this conversion. I will work with you to be sure you have the correct parts for the conversion and provide support along the way. If you are months away from being ready, please keep your eyes on http://www.eficonnection.com as it will soon be updated to provide details for this conversion, parts, and pricing.

What can EFI Connection provide?
    We can provide everything except for the PCM calibration and coil brackets.

What does it cost?
    Keep your eyes on http://www.eficonnection.com for more details. We will soon update the website to provide information and pricing for this coil per cylinder conversion. If you send email asking about pricing, I will reply asking you to bookmark http://www.eficonnection.com for the latest information. (So please don't email me about pricing.)
    24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

S10W, nice work...

I am very interested in the conversion for an LT1. Any suggestions for the cam sensor? The distributor is mounted in the front of the engine under the water pump. A reluctor is there and could be modified to create a cam sync. Does the Vortec distributor cam signal work without modification?
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Lifetime Member

I have been interested in doing a conversion similar to yours on the 262. Have you looked at the MSD cam sync plug?

If you ever have a kit for the 262 let me know.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Lifetime Member

/bow
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl View Post
    I am very interested in the conversion for an LT1. Any suggestions for the cam sensor? The distributor is mounted in the front of the engine under the water pump. A reluctor is there and could be modified to create a cam sync. Does the Vortec distributor cam signal work without modification?
    Al
    We're working on a cam sensor solution. There are definitely a few ways to accomplish this. We've chosen to use a new cam sensor and housing that will replace the optispark. I haven't had much to do with the LT1 cam sensor pieces, but I've been watching the progress.

The Sensor
    We worked with a sensor manufacturer to get a hall effect sensor that matched the operation of the GM sensor. There is a 1x target that will be bolted to the front of the cam sprocket. This sensor is designed to fit the aluminum housing we're going to make available.

The Sensor Housing
    The housing replaces the optispark module. The protopye is adjustable so we can determine where the sensor will need to be fixed.

Vortec Cam Sensor
    ...is compatible with the LS1 PCM and requires no modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by nevinsb View Post
    I have been interested in doing a conversion similar to yours on the 262. Have you looked at the MSD cam sync plug?

If you ever have a kit for the 262 let me know.
    There is an MSD cam sync in the shop. This was my first idea almost two years ago for making this system work. At that time I had planned on mounting the LS1 24x reluctor between the balancer and crank pulley and using the MSD cam sync to get the cam signal. It's been awhile since I looked at it, but I seem to recall it using 5v. The GM system uses 12v. Also, when I spoke with MSD's tech line at that time, they said this cam sync was part of a kit that has been discontinued. This piece will not likely be available much longer.

Lifetime Member

I was also going to do it this way but using the electromotive crank gear and/or the one from megasquirt. I was looking for a small reluctor ring that fitted the way you have done it and I started with the v6 3.1L and it didn't work. So i had given up on the project till you came along.

Now...I can stop BITCHING Paul about OBDI support for efilive v2

JAJA
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Lifetime Member

These are some of the articles I was looking at. The newer 4.3L engines run 3 coils, but it looks like they are using the e37 PCM.

Camsync:
    http://www.sunflower.com/~leroy/edist.htm

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthrea...ght=coil+packs

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...RTEC48LGENIVV8
    2007i Vortec 4.3L V6 (LU3)

2007i Model Year Summary
    Vortec 4.3L V6 ohv truck engine

• Next Generation GM LAN Capability With E37 ECM (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • 58X Crankshaft Sensing And 4X Cam Sensing (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • Direct Ignition System (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • Electronic Throttle Control (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • Second Knock Sensor Added (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • Dual Close-coupled Catalytic Converters For Lower Emissions
    • Redesigned Water Pump For Improved Durability
    • Precision Cast Rocker Arms Replace Stamped Steel
    • Teflon Front Crankshaft Seal For Durability (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • Redesigned Aluminum Front Cover And Gasket (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • New Oil Pan For Noise Suppression With Improved Gasket Sealing (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • Threaded Block Heater Hole (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • Low Permeability Intake System Sealing
    • Three-layer Exhaust Heat Shields Reduce Noise (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    • New Oil Pump Stub Shaft
    • Regulated Voltage Control For Cooling Fan
    • Extended Life Spark Plugs
    • More Durable Crank Thrust Bearing And Balance Shaft Bushings
    • Extended Life Coolant
    • GF4 Engine Oil Extends Durability
    • Advanced Rate-Based Diagnostics

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES

NEXT GENERATION GM LAN CAPABILITY WITH E37 ECM (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    The new E37 controller allows the 4.3L V6 to communicate with the Local Area Network electrical architecture on the new GMT 900 pickups, the Chrevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra for 2007. It also enables the 4.3L V6 to communicate with the T42 transmission controller in the four-speed automatic transmission.

58X CRANKSHAFT SENSING AND 4X CAM SENSING (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    More precise ignition control is made possible with a new crankshaft sensing reluctor wheel, similar to the Gen IV V8 engines, which enables the crankshaft position to be sensed 58 times per revolution. In addition, valve timing is not sensed with the addition of a sensor wheel to the camshaft.

DIRECT IGNITION SYSTEM (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    The ignition system is now fired electronically, and uses three coils, each of which fires two cylinders. The coils are mounted above the former distributor location. A shorter oil-pump driveshaft was necessary to replace the former distributor shaft-driven oil pump.

ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    An electric motor on the intake throttle takes command from the engine control module and then opens and closes the throttle plate. The accelerator pedal is connected to a sensor that provides the ECM with driver input. The system allows multiple throttle progressions or algorithms, which operate the throttle at varying rates according to operating conditions and driver demands. It also has built-in default settings that protect the engine and ensure safe operation in the event of malfunction with the ETC or other engine subsystems.

SECOND KNOCK SENSOR ADDED (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    A second knock sensor is added to improve spark control, which enhances more complete combustion and improves engine efficiency.

REDESIGNED WATER PUMP FOR IMPROVED DURABILITY
    A new machined water pump allows a new redesigned gasket for better sealing of the pump to the block, and lessens the possibility of coolant leakage.

MORE DURABLE CRANK THRUST BEARING AND BALANCE SHAFT BUSHINGS
    The thrust bearing for the crankshaft, which handles longitudinal loads, has been upgraded for all 4.3L V6 applications, which includes the Chevrolet Silverado Classic and GMC Sierra Classic pickups. In addition, the bushings which carry the balance shaft have also been made more durable.

DUAL CLOSE-COUPLED CATALYTIC CONVERTERS FOR EXHAUST
    The new converter system is primarily designed to lower emissions. It features two new close-coupled converters, which are located closer to the exhaust manifold to enhance their effectiveness. Converters closer to the exhaust manifold reach operating temperatures quickly and reduce start-up emissions.

PRECISION CAST ROCKER ARMS REPLACE STAMPED STEEL
    The increased volume in which precision cast rocker arms are used by GM engines enables the replacement of the former stamped steel rocker arms, which can have larger variances in dimensions.

TEFLON FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL FOR DURABILITY (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    Long-term durability is enhanced with a special Teflon front crankshaft seal.

REDESIGNED FRONT COVER AND GASKET (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    To fit the new crankshaft sensor reluctor wheel, a new, larger aluminum front engine cover replaces the former plastic component. The aluminum cover is also designed to reduce engine noise. The engine block was modified to accept the new front cover.

NEW OIL PAN FOR NOISE SUPRESSION (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    The aluminum oil pan, which fastens to the engine block and transmission bell housing to enhance powertrain rigidity, gets additional ribbing that makes it stiffer and adds to its ability to suppress engine noise. The pan also gets a new gasket that aids its long-term ability to remain sealed to the engine block.

THREADED BLOCK HEATER HOLE (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    The block heater hole is now threaded, which will improve the long-term durability of the sealing of the block heater plug and the block.

LOW PERMEABILITY INTAKE SYSTEM SEALING
    To ensure minimal emissions from the fuel mixture seeping out of the intake system, the seals for the entire system are replaced with a low-permeability compound.

THREE-LAYER EXHAUST HEAT SHIELDS REDUCE NOISE (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra)
    The exhaust manifold is upgraded from two-layer insulated tubing to three layers of insulated tubing to reduce exhaust noise.

NEW OIL PUMP STUB SHAFT
    The former distributor was replaced by a new bracket with three ignition coils, and underneath this bracket the distributor drive is replaced by a new stub shaft which drives only the oil pump.

REGULATED VOLTAGE CONTROL FOR COOLING FAN
    The electrically operated cooling fan is controlled by the temperature of the engine, and only operates when the engine requires further cooling of the coolant. This control keeps the engine at its optimal operating temperature, and improves efficiency when the fan is not required.

EXTENDED LIFE SPARK PLUGS
    The platinum-tipped spark plugs extend anticipated plug life to 100,000 miles to keep maintenance at a minimum.

MORE DURABLE CRANK THRUST BEARING AND BALANCE SHAFT BUSHINGS
    The thrust bearing for the crankshaft, which handles longitudinal loads, has been upgraded for all 4.3L V6 applications. In addition, the bushings which carry the balance shaft have also been made more durable. All of the bearings and bushings are free of hexavalent chrome.

EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT
    DEXCOOL coolant maintains its cooling and corrosion-inhibiting properties for 150,000 miles.

GF-4 ENGINE OIL EXTENDS DURABILITY
    GF-4 engine oil reduces deposits, extends oil change intervals, improves fuel economy and extends the life of emissions control systems.

ADVANCED RATE-BASED DIAGNOSTICS
    Rate-based diagnostics monitoring protocol are used to improve the robustness of the Onboard Diagnostics System (OBD II) and ensure optimal emissions control performance.

LOW MAINTENANCE
    The platinum spark plugs have a recommended service life of 100,000 miles, while the DEXCOOL coolant is expected to remain effective for 150,000 miles.

OVERVIEW
    The Vortec 4.3L V6’s excellent torque, fuel efficiency, durability, low cost of ownership and steady improvement all contribute to its popularity as a base engine in light-duty applications. It powers more trucks around the globe than just about any V6 engine in current production. The Vortec 4.3L V6 is the base engine for entry level full-size Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups and full-size Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans.

This 90-degree V6 was developed in the mid-1980s by removing two cylinders from GM Powertrain's legendary small block V-8. A counter-rotating balance shaft was employed to balance primary crank vibration. The low-end torque delivery of an overhead-valve engine, combined with continued improvements in noise, vibration and harshness control and the latest electronic controls have kept the Vortec 4.3L in high demand.

The Vortec 4.3L was upgraded midway through 2006 with cracked powder-metal connecting rods for more precise rod bearing clearance. The connecting rod is connected to the piston at one end and to the crankshaft at the other end. During its processing, the rod is hot forged, sintered in a furnace, machined and then the cap is fractured from the rod portion. This fracture joint is used to accurately position the cap to the rod during engine assembly.

The Vortec 4.3L continues to remain a workhorse for entry-level truck customers, while setting a standard in marine and industrial applications around the globe. It is popularly used in fork lift trucks, for example, and as an uplevel engine in the marine industry. As a classic V6, it delivers outstanding torque and good specific output in an economical, high-value package, while continuing to surpass increasingly stringent government emissions standards.

The Vortec 4.3L V6 is produced in Romulus, Michigan.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by nevinsb View Post
    These are some of the articles I was looking at. The newer 4.3L engines run 3 coils, but it looks like they are using the e37 PCM.
    GM changed the front of the block for the newer 4.3L engines. The new timing cover will not bolt on to the early block by any stretch of the imagination.

The new 58x reluctor is well over 1 inch larger than the early reluctors.

The new timing chain set has more in common to a bicycle chain than it does an engine timing chain.

The new ECM used with that system does not have EFILive support.
    24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast