Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Pricing for the 24x rings and related pieces is now available at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._cylinder.aspx

We have a very small quantity of the GM distributor caps. They will only be sold to those who are purchasing a 24x ring, 24x sensor, and are currently ready to do this conversion. If you are not ready to do this conversion, I'm going to ask that you wait for us to make new (non-GM) caps. We are currently working on this.

24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

A big thanks to Mike in Wisconsin for sharing videos of his 24x LT1 installation progress. Mike sent a few videos of the engine running on the dyno. The engine may be hooked up to the water brake this week to apply load.

Keep in mind that Mike is using a calibration that we are using on our test stand. It's rough at best and needs a lot of work. However, you'd hardly know it seeing this engine run.

First QuickTime Video
    Second QuickTime Video
    Third QuickTime Video

Mike purchased:
    - 24x LT1 crank reluctor
    - he had a 24x crank sensor
    - 24x LT1 conversion harness (stand alone type for his pickup truck...which works well for the dyno)
    - cam sensor, housing, and target
    - 96-97 LT1 crank key (GM# 12550096)
    - used LS type coils (truck coils I think)

His comments have been:
    - it fired up first try
    - throttle response is perceived as better than with the original electronics
    - a few emissions trouble codes have set (fuel level, fuel sensor, AIR pump, skip shift...all need to be disabled in the calibration)

Mike
    EFI Connection
    Last edited by S10Wildside; February 9th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.

Lifetime Member

WOW!!! too bad my heads were leaking :(
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Here's an exploded view of all the hardware involved to equip an LT1/LT4 engine with the signals required by the Gen3 LSx PCMs.

The 1x cam reluctor bolts to the cam sprocket and is located by the pin on the cam.

The cam sensor housing replaces the optispark module.

The 24x crank reluctor installs on the crankshaft and is located by the 96-97 LT1 crank key (GM# 12550096).

No adjustments. Bolt it all on and it's ready to run.

Lifetime Member

Simply amazing, this is going to open up a whole new world of tuning for the LT1/4 guys. Being able to use EFILive and a LS1 PCM will make swaps and driveability much better. Props for the hard work and effort!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
    A big thanks to Mike in Wisconsin for sharing videos of his 24x LT1 installation progress. Mike sent a few videos of the engine running on the dyno. The engine may be hooked up to the water brake this week to apply load.

Keep in mind that Mike is using a calibration that we are using on our test stand. It's rough at best and needs a lot of work. However, you'd hardly know it seeing this engine run.

First QuickTime Video
    Second QuickTime Video
    Third QuickTime Video

Mike purchased:
    - 24x LT1 crank reluctor
    - he had a 24x crank sensor
    - 24x LT1 conversion harness (stand alone type for his pickup truck...which works well for the dyno)
    - cam sensor, housing, and target
    - 96-97 LT1 crank key (GM# 12550096)
    - used LS type coils (truck coils I think)

His comments have been:
    - it fired up first try
    - throttle response is perceived as better than with the original electronics
    - a few emissions trouble codes have set (fuel level, fuel sensor, AIR pump, skip shift...all need to be disabled in the calibration)

Mike
    EFI Connection
    I will add that the engine was very boring to watch run, just sat and idled with o issues, the whole swap was almost too easy.It made 256 hp and 324 ft lbs of torque in the form you see it, which I thought was good as the cal I am using (courtesy of EFI Connection, thanks)has less than optimal timing curve and is running fairly rich across most of the range (11.5 to 12.0 or so AFR). In the mean time we swapped a ZZ4 crate motor cam into the engine and with no other changes to the engine or cal, it made 308 HP and 340 ft lbs of torque, not bad for 3 hours worth of work. I hope to have a video of a dyno pull in the next couple of days. I am going to do some wideband logging and see if I can't lean it out a bit and get the timing a little closer and see what that gets!!!
    I will keep all posted!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    I will add that the engine was very boring to watch run, just sat and idled with o issues, the whole swap was almost too easy.
    That's funny. When we first started the LT1 engine last July with the LS1 PCM, I think there were two others with me at the time and we all had silly grins on our face!

For years I said, "I will NEVER use an LT1 engine for a conversion." I even gave out that same advice because of its ignition issues. I'm even receiving phone calls from guys who have installed the best optispark on the market and they're considering it junk because of failures.

Now that 24x is available for the early small block and LT1, I actually prefer the LT1 because its components are a bolt on with no adjustments! The early small block requires cam sensor adjustment (which is no big deal), but the LT1 is now where it's at!

Nice piece(s) of engineering...

I'm glad you got it together Mike.
    It's time the LT1/LT4 got a fair shake.

Lifetime Member

yes sir.... this opens a whole lot of stuff for the LT1 crowd.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast