Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RR not connecting..need help

Default RR not connecting..need help

So last week my road runner was working fine and then went to tune this week and no luck at all....i didnt change anything with the car, and i dont think anything changed with my laptop. In the process of trying to fix it i used FTclean to remove all the drivers from my laptop for RR and then used the selfextracting driver file from moates and it still does not work. does anyone have any tricks i am missing here? I am not sure if this matters but my RR, Efi Live V1, and Wideband commander all go into a usb hub in my car so i only have to plug 1 usb cable in. It has never been a problem before just started to not work now.

Couple of things to check:
    - Is the RoadRunner appearing as a COM Port in Device Manager, and what is the COMM Port number (i.e. COM4)?
    - In the EFILive Properties (RoadRunner tab) is the Connection Type set to Virtual COM Port?
    - When Virtual COM Port is selected does the Scan From COM1 to COM n include the COM Port assigned to the RoadRunner (couple of steps above)?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Try using the native USB drivers for RR. Like this:

1. Uninstall the FDTI virtual com port driver for RR.
    2. When you reconnect RR, and Windows tries to load the drivers, point the driver install wizard a the EFILive FlashScan USB drivers (instead of the Moates supplied USB drivers).
    3. In the EFILive tuning software, select the Properties window, RR tab page.
    4. Select the Native USB option for RR. (See attached image.)
    5. Select the USB <-> Serial device name (i.e. the RR device)
    6. Try to connect to RR.

That eliminates the whole virtual com port interface and any potential problems associated with it.

P.S. I always use the native USB drivers for RR and never have any connection trouble.

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	4267  
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

If/when you need to update RR firmware using the firmware programming software from Moates, you will most likely have to re-install and use the virtual COM port drivers for the RR device.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Ok went to the native port setup and got it to work with no problems...for now. I am not sure why it was not working before on native but i think its just my cheap gateway computer confusing the drivers...because this time when i pluged in the car it came up with "installing drivers" and then worked again...so who knows.

Thanks for all the help guys now i just need to get out and do some tuning so i can figure this RR thing out more.
    2001 Corvette Z06 - C5R 427, PTS Twin T-64 turbo system, AFR 225's, FAST 92mm intake/TB, 95# injectors, Comp cams 238/242, Callies crank, Oliver rods, Mahle pistons, Roadrunner PCM, and some other 'odds-n-ends'

this thing is driving me nuts...it was working for like 2 days and then stoped again. I am fairly sure it was my laptops fault but now it says device is not responding or something like that in windows when i try to install the new driver. And without installing a driver it says unsupported device....i am about to throw my laptop across the room and into a wall.
    2001 Corvette Z06 - C5R 427, PTS Twin T-64 turbo system, AFR 225's, FAST 92mm intake/TB, 95# injectors, Comp cams 238/242, Callies crank, Oliver rods, Mahle pistons, Roadrunner PCM, and some other 'odds-n-ends'

512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

yea, no luck with that.....like i said it has worked before but seems like my computer just loses the drivers or something every now and than.

My RR isn't happy when it has to share the USB channel with anything else, just glad my laptop has dual USB channels (Dell Precision M65) so it works out very well.

Maybe it isn't "sharing" the port well?

I have a USB V1 and my RR is of course USB. So if EFIL and RR on the same USB Channel I get dropped RR and dropped and unstable and not able to connect to EFILive at all.

Try connecting to the RR with NOTHING else on the USB channel (1 channel might have multiple ports/connectors, so just because you have 3-4 might not mean there is sufficient bandwidth there)

I have heard hubs and USB don't get along well either.

Anyone make a RS-232 to USB adapter? Make sure of the RS-232 port maybe?
    Last edited by N0DIH; November 27th, 2008 at 07:18 AM.

Mine used to do the same.
    Get rid of the ribbon cable and connect straight to the internal 'mini-USB-B' port.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast