Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E38 TIS Programming warning

"From what I have seen this morning doing some experimentation, do not update any 2007/2008 E38's to a 2009 OS using TIS, you are going to end up with a messed up ECM.
    I have performed multiple flashes of 2007 OS's without a hitch, as soon as TIS programmed in OS 12628982 I lost all the ECM info and it was locked."

once that happened were you able to flash back in an 07 OS?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip View Post
    "From what I have seen this morning doing some experimentation, do not update any 2007/2008 E38's to a 2009 OS using TIS, you are going to end up with a messed up ECM.
    I have performed multiple flashes of 2007 OS's without a hitch, as soon as TIS programmed in OS 12628982 I lost all the ECM info and it was locked."

once that happened were you able to flash back in an 07 OS?
    Ditto.....?

Nope, ECM is locked.
    However, Jesse (Wait4me) told me this morning that when he logged on to SPS it did an update, since then he's flashed a few 2006's to 2009 OS's and they were ok, so maybe they fixed it up pretty quick.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

hhhmmmm seems a bit strange....

if that were the case i hope that GM would replace the ECU's that have been Locked....

so the ones you have are totally useless now ?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It may have something to do with the ECM version, there appears to be two part numbers for the E38:
    2006 - 2007 = 12597121
    2008 - 2009 = 12612384
    We think it is when a 12597121 ECM is updated to 2009 then problems occur, it's hard to say at this stage.
    Interesting. I was unaware of the ability to even flash an 08+ OS into an 07, every attempt I have made ends up with TIS timing out on the flash portion of the process with no work done. Then again, haven't tried in about 6 months, just flash 08+ to a 2384 ECM and 07 to 7121.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    Come now Ross, What are you trying to say???? That the TIS system has....FLAWS???

Why....... any REAL tuner should expect to spend at least a few grand in new controllers after unnecessary TIS flash failures per year.....ya think?

Ya gotta be in it to win it!
    Chuck CoW
    Unheard of! I have yet to have a successful 99-00 PCM flash with TIS complete successfully... and yet I keep on trying for some reason with hopes of the process working properly the next time.

My Experience with TIS has been like everyone else's. Has its hi's n lows...

Mainly it is just figuring out what settings you need before you connect to a PCM/ECU and flash - once setup right the tune goes in straight away no problem

I have tried many combinations and now can flash tunes into LS1 non fbw and LS1 fbw PCM's and E38's (still havent had/tried an E40) ... This is both Chev and Holden tunes... the Holden pose to be the trickier ones... what GM were thinking when they built the database in TIS i dont know.

The trick is to always select "Replace and Reprogram", then you just supply a valid VIN for what you need and it should all happen regardless of what is currently in the ECM. Mind you, it would appear by doing this you are also bypassing some checks that TIS has in place to make sure you don't program the incorrect things in!
    I don't critisise TIS too harshly, it would be a total nightmare trying to track exactly what each vehicle requires. I can certainly understand how mistakes can sometimes happen. If it wasn't there we would all be stuck!!

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip View Post
    so the ones you have are totally useless now ?
    No, I can fix them, I did much worse in the development stage of our programming. I do however have a number of lovely T42 shaped garden ornaments .

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    The trick is to always select "Replace and Reprogram", then you just supply a valid VIN for what you need and it should all happen regardless of what is currently in the ECM. Mind you, it would appear by doing this you are also bypassing some checks that TIS has in place to make sure you don't program the incorrect things in!
    I don't critisise TIS too harshly, it would be a total nightmare trying to track exactly what each vehicle requires. I can certainly understand how mistakes can sometimes happen. If it wasn't there we would all be stuck!!

Cheers,
    Ross
    I always do a replace and reprogram but that doesnt seem to help me when i try and program an E38 if i say it is a holden already.. It comes back with cant find ECU please make sure switched on blah blah blah.....

have to trick it etc... then it say must be a new ECU etc.....

also when going from a 99 model LS1 PCM and upgrading the OS can be tricky.. cant seem to just jump right in.

Default Just use efi live...

JUST USE EFI LIVE...

For most of the time...TIS FAILS...ESPECIALLY, when your internet connection is not fast...Not sure why cause the files are cached on your computer.

Anyway....When updating E40s and E38s with new OSs, use your head and DON'T USE ONLINE TIS. USE EFI LIVE for OS changes whenever possible on E40 and E38 cars. TIS SUCKS.

I think the TIS subscription on DVD is better and more reliable....BUT, the online TIS BLOWS...Especially when the internet varies.

LS1 pcms usually die and E40s always suck.

Early E38s have caused problems and sometimes die, and occasionally HPT will make them talk again.

I've seen several T43s die in the middle of a TIS flash and TIS or EFI LIVE will bring them back to life.

I had a T43 die on a TIS flash twice in Chicago the other day...It took me 2 hours to BOMBARD it with TIS, HPT, and EFI LIVE flash attempts to revive her....

Lucky for me, the combo of FLASH ATTEMPTS was kinda like a defribliator bringing a PCM back to life. Not sure why..But, the customer was happy.

To date....I've never roasted a T43 and I play with them a bunch.

Can't say that for LS1, E40, and E38's. I always cringe and hold my breath when I do an OS change.

What's your experience?
    Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast