Thread: vats delele or new ignition?

Default vats delele or new ignition?

I have a 02 camaro z project. After i took the dash out the car wont start on the first try and the security light comes on. The ignition is also wiggly now. Would deleting vats make the car start easier? I was thinking maybe the car isnt reading the chip on the key? Any help would be appreciated

Well..... I have the same issue at times... Sometimes I go to start it and the security light comes on and nothing.... I usually fix it by either waiting or pulling the ECM fuse a couple times. Sounds to me like you need a new ignition tumbler. I would try that out because I have the Anti-Theft disabled via EFI live and I still have that happen to me.

Thats what i was thinking. I am thinking about doing a push button ignition. This is a race car project so i dont need to worry about theft as much

Thats what I would do but keep in mind that your PCM will still request that resistor value before allowing it to start. What you need to do is find and cut the Vats wire and soder in the right resistor between the wires. This will make the PCM think the key is always there.
    You can accomplish this by taking a multimeter and placing the leads on the resistor of your key. This will give you a ohm reading which you can take to your local electronics store and ask for a resistor with a similar load of resistance. Then just soder it in place and your done.