Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seed/Key, what is the purpose?

Default Seed/Key, what is the purpose?

Ok, this might be obvious to some, but honestly I have posed the question to many and got no answer.

What it the purpose in life for the Seed/Key? In all honesty, it ISN'T security, it is too easy to get. So what else? Simply to ensure the right .bin goes with the right PCM?

Just wondering!

Default Seeds grow plants......

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    Ok, this might be obvious to some, but honestly I have posed the question to many and got no answer.

What it the purpose in life for the Seed/Key? In all honesty, it ISN'T security, it is too easy to get. So what else? Simply to ensure the right .bin goes with the right PCM?

Just wondering!
    Seeds grow plants......and keys open locks.

It actually is security cause it can take weeks sometimes (trying every 8 seconds) to get a match....

the seed and key are in HEX and actually represent WAY MORE combinations than they than they appear to.

You need to have BOTH the seed and key "correct" to open the lock.

The possible combinations are huge considering the 4 hex digits in each part.

Remember HEX is base 16....not base 10.

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Each controller uses a different seed/key algorithm. This ensures that you can't accidentaly try to program a LS1 PCM with a Diesel tune, nor can anyone just blatantly reprogram the PCM without figuring out each controllers security algo.

For example (and this is very simplified).
    Assume a LS1 PCM sends back a seed of $2000. The algo to calculate the unlock key is simply to add 1, EFILive would send back a key of $2001 and bingo the PCM is unlocked and you can proceed to reflash the ECM.
    Now, lets say on a Diesel ECM the algo was to add 2, then EFILive would send back a key of $2002.
    This way there is no way the Diesel ECM would allow the LS1 tune to be flashed as the key would be wrong, EFILive knows what controller it is trying to flash and therefore the algo to calcualte the key will only work on that controller type.
    Each PCM has a brute force timer to stop multiple requests of invalid keys, so if you send the wrong key twice then the PCM won't allow another attempt for 10 seconds, multiply that by 65533 possible key values and it kind of drags out a bit.
    For myself, I can have the flash chip off, reprogrammed in a EPROM burner and back on in about 20mins with a valid seed/key pair if the PCM was locked.

I don't think GM's intention behind the seed/key was fort knox type security, it serves it's simple purpose well. I have tried to figure out if there is any backdoors left open by GM but there isn't, they thought it out quite well.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Where is the S/K stored? Is it software in the flash or in another E^2 somewhere else? Or is it in the processesors' EEPROM?

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Each controller uses a different seed/key algorithm. This ensures that you can't accidentaly try to program a LS1 PCM with a Diesel tune, nor can anyone just blatantly reprogram the PCM without figuring out each controllers security algo.

For example (and this is very simplified).
    Assume a LS1 PCM sends back a seed of $2000. The algo to calculate the unlock key is simply to add 1, EFILive would send back a key of $2001 and bingo the PCM is unlocked and you can proceed to reflash the ECM.
    Now, lets say on a Diesel ECM the algo was to add 2, then EFILive would send back a key of $2002.
    This way there is no way the Diesel ECM would allow the LS1 tune to be flashed as the key would be wrong, EFILive knows what controller it is trying to flash and therefore the algo to calcualte the key will only work on that controller type.
    Each PCM has a brute force timer to stop multiple requests of invalid keys, so if you send the wrong key twice then the PCM won't allow another attempt for 10 seconds, multiply that by 65533 possible key values and it kind of drags out a bit.
    For myself, I can have the flash chip off, reprogrammed in a EPROM burner and back on in about 20mins with a valid seed/key pair if the PCM was locked.

I don't think GM's intention behind the seed/key was fort knox type security, it serves it's simple purpose well. I have tried to figure out if there is any backdoors left open by GM but there isn't, they thought it out quite well.

Cheers,
    Ross

I am with N0dih

1999 CK10906
    Delivering Dealer :
    • ISUZU GENERAL MOTORS AUSTRALIA LTD.
    • 858 LORIMER ST.
    • MELBOURNE , AU 3207

VIT2 data

ssecuhn =
    vin = %s %s ----------
    snoet =
    vmecuhn = 0
    ssecusvn = 0
    ecu_adr = 10
    num_part = 0
    numcms = 1
    blocklen = 112
    disp_type = 1
    protocol = 1
    swcompat_id = ffffffff
    diagdata_id = 65535
    shopcode =
    progdate = 00000000
    pinnum = 0
    numseeds = 1
    event_type = 1
    seed = 4cde
    config_area_size = 0
    id = a7
    chksum = 5789

table_len = 0
    nav_info = 0000004d
    reserved = 0
    post_prog_instructions =

OSDI # = 9365095T
    PCM # = 9366810
    # of cal Segments = 7
    Security Algorithim = 16
    Read Algorithim = 5
    Program Algorithim = 7

This is from a Cadillac Northstar

VIT1 data

ssecuhn =
    vin =
    snoet =
    vmecuhn =
    ssecusvn = 65535
    ecu_adr = 10
    num_part = 1
    partno = 12585589
    partnum = 12585589
    sub_asm = 12585667-54635
    sub_asm = 12573807-7051
    cvn_in_vit1 = 1
    numcms = 1
    blocklen = 0
    disp_type = 0
    protocol = 1
    swcompat_id = ffffffff
    diagdata_id = 65535
    shopcode =
    progdate = FFFFFFFF
    pinnum = 0
    numseeds = 1
    seed = 4CDE
    ecu_config_data_length = 0
    id = a7
    chksum = 0
    table_len = 0
    nav_info = FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF
    reserved = -1
    numcms = 1
    config_area_size = 0
    devicetype = J2534
    requesttype = dr-request

The rest is

Oh I guess I will post this. It is the Speed limiter

Yeah I am just a caddy tech that doesn't know anything

Cheers,
    Ross
    I was unaware of that. So I can have the seed and key changed when I get the RoadRunner in the SIMTEC 5.G PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    Where is the S/K stored? Is it software in the flash or in another E^2 somewhere else? Or is it in the processesors' EEPROM?
    It's stored on the flash (for most ECM's), but that is the point, to gain access to the flash (via the OBD-II port) you need to know the key to get in, you can't 'get' the key from the flash without knowing the key.
    Pretty much like locking your keys in the car, you can't get in via the door without the key. Once in the car, you can get the key to get in the door, but at that point you are already in
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by CalEditor View Post
    I was unaware of that. So I can have the seed and key changed when I get the RoadRunner in the SIMTEC 5.G PCM?
    Yes you could do that once you pull the flash off. I have several of those PCM's here but I have just never had the chance to pull the flash off the PCB to look at how the flash is arranged (apart from being Intel backwards )

Cheers,
    Ross

Yes you could do that once you pull the flash off. I have several of those PCM's here but I have just never had the chance to pull the flash off the PCB to look at how the flash is arranged (apart from being Intel backwards )

Cheers,
    Ross
    Backwards?
    What is it that you need to give me a VDF or what ever you call it?
    I have more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast