Thread: tuning LS1 on another car

Lifetime Member

Default tuning LS1 on another car

Hi,

I’m tuning LS1 engine installed on an old ZX, the trans is 350. I’m going to start with a manual trans tune of corvette ZO6 (2004), because it has cam .61/.59 and dart heads as well as 36lb.

What do u think so far? Any ways, I am thinking how to compensate for the load change, I mean the PCM sees neutral all the time, so whenever shifts to R or D, the load will increase, then will die. Another issue, will the car read from Hi lo octane, or it will relay on the base spark in Park/Neutral.

Please get me ur opinion.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

You might want to wire in the clutch pedal switch. Pin C1-35 has 12 volts with key on, loses it with the clutch depressed.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

I'm not sure, but can you wire the clutch pedal input to the trans P/N starter inhibit switch...

What Al said, but with this additional "feature":

(I don't know if this would work, you will have to experiment)

when trans is in gear you want PCM to see that clutch is engaged ("pedal is out");
    when trans is in P/N you want PCM to see clutch disengaged ("pedal is in").

You will have to rewire the P/N starter inhibit switch to do 2 things:
    - enable/inhibit the starter solenoid,
    - provide 12V/0V to PCM clutch pedal input;
    you probably need a DPST relay (or is that a SPDT...?) driven by the P/N starter inhibit switch [and maybe a pullup resistor].

I don't know if that would work, you may have to play with it.
    Last edited by joecar; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Lifetime Member

I will try that and get back to you.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl View Post
    You might want to wire in the clutch pedal switch. Pin C1-35 has 12 volts with key on, loses it with the clutch depressed.
    Al
    I have a question it is a little off topic but it does have to do with the clutch pedal so it fits. My car is a M6 and it has autostart (i know, i know.. everyone who is going to tell me its a stupid idea save it, gettin into a black car with black leather when its 110* outside sucks, havin the AC on when you get there is AMAZING!) Anyways... lol The car has the upper clutch position switch removed, so that the car can start without the clutch being pressed. The lower one, the one activated when clutch is to the floor, is still attached. Is having the upper one bypassed messin with the PCM??
    -CoryF
    2001 Camaro SS #2070
    -K&N FIPK, P/P TB, 227/231 .614/.617 111+4, UD Pulley, LT headers, OFY, Dumped 3" Exhaust, !AIR, KONI 4/4, Spec 3+ w/ Aluminum Fly Wheel, 4.10's, Custom EFILive Tune

Sorry I got it backwards the one that wont let the car start is all the way to the floor that is the one that I have disconnected. The "upper" one is still connected. Anyone know if this is messing with the PCM?
    -CoryF
    2001 Camaro SS #2070
    -K&N FIPK, P/P TB, 227/231 .614/.617 111+4, UD Pulley, LT headers, OFY, Dumped 3" Exhaust, !AIR, KONI 4/4, Spec 3+ w/ Aluminum Fly Wheel, 4.10's, Custom EFILive Tune

Lifetime Member

post pictures if u can
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Pictures wouldn't show much, there are 2 clutch switches on manual vehicles. One when you just barley press the clutch and then another when the clutch is all the way to the floor. The one that is at the floor is is attached to a relay that won't let the starter turn unless the clutch is all the way pushed.

I just wanted to make sure that the switch on the floor doesn't get sent to the PCM because it is disconnected on my car.
    -CoryF
    2001 Camaro SS #2070