Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EFILive on Linux

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    Hi guys,
    I had EFILive TuneTool and ScanTool working under Linux some time back. I used Wine to both install the application and run the tools. As has been mentioned, the USB drivers will not work under Linux, because the USB architecture is handled differently under Linux. There is no way that a Windows emulator can pick up and use the Windows USB drivers and make them work. Instead, the options are to rewrite the USB drivers so they work under Linux, or there are some commercial applications that dynamically port some USB drivers to work under Linux.

The best option of course is to get the drivers rewritten for Linux, and we'd be pretty happy. Rewriting The whole of EFILive for Linux would make us ecstatic... but I can't see that happening any time soon. Actually, I can't see the USB drivers happening either given the workloads we are hearing about. If we were to get V2 BBL support for reading and writing tunes though, it would be a great work around. Edit in Linux and transfer the tune to the V2 for flashing.

Simon
    Yeah , did not realize that the USB would be the show stopper here .
    I did plug the V2 in a USB port and of course the emulated EFILive did not see the V2 .
    I will do "dmesg" and see what it shows , maybe with vendor and product ID you can "modprobe" the device to get it to work , don't know will try and see .
    Last time I did a "dmesg" probe I think the V2 came up as a standard scanner device , maybe someone can figure it out .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Here is 'dmesg' and what it found :
    usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=e4a1
    usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    usb 1-3: Product: EFILive FlashScan V2
    usb 1-3: Manufacturer: EFILive
    usb 1-3: SerialNumber: FSV2
    SO , maybe some hope .
    Did "modprobe" but still nothing yet .
    FTDI the USB device in EFILIve has Linux drivers so no need to rewrite drivers , just the way EFILive looks for them or where it looks for them .
    So EFILive looks for Windows Device Manger to see the V2 and then install the USB drivers for the Device , don't see why WINE would have a problem with that .
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 14th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Im interested in this, Ill probably never run Linux full time but I will never say never.

And in Vista's defense, it is actually pretty solid if you use x64 and have a machine powerful enough to run its hogging personality. But I started using it in Sept 07 after 9 months of it being out so Im sure Micro$oft got some things "fixed" by then. SP1's supposed to be better, Ill be able to tell once I get a new laptop after mine got fried.

But, Ive been doing a little looking into Windows 7 and Im liking what I see. Take Vista, and polish all the crap out of it is basically what Im seeing plus a few more features/reorganized things. Think public beta starts here soon, have to get in on that...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM View Post
    Here is 'dmesg' and what it found :
    usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=e4a1
    usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    usb 1-3: Product: EFILive FlashScan V2
    usb 1-3: Manufacturer: EFILive
    usb 1-3: SerialNumber: FSV2
    SO , maybe some hope .
    Did "modprobe" but still nothing yet .
    FTDI the USB device in EFILIve has Linux drivers so no need to rewrite drivers , just the way EFILive looks for them or where it looks for them .
    So EFILive looks for Windows Device Manger to see the V2 and then install the USB drivers for the Device , don't see why WINE would have a problem with that .
    Wine simply provides an environment that appear to be windows to the application. Unfortunately it can't present Linux hardware to the application as a device, it simply acts as a go-between. SO unless the driver exists under Linux, Wine can't present it to an application. Actually, the only real success in this is the Linux Ndis wrapper, which allows Windows based wireless network drivers to be run under Linux. Going from memory, Windows does not have a unified USB subsystem. MS decided to leave that totally up to the vendor of the USB device to do all the work for interfacing to the USB drivers. This has resulted in nearly every device needing it's own USB driver to work properly.

Linux on the other hand has "libusb" which is a unified driver that allows vendors to simply plug into it. The funny part is, that there is a "libusb" driver available for Windows, so if a device is developed under Linux, it's very easy to get it working under Windows with this library. I use it to connect to my CVS cam-corders and Dakota digital cameras. It works very well. Going back the other way can be done but unless the EFILive developers get involved, the only way will be to reverse engineer the USB protocol. It can be done, but it's not for the feint hearted.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    Hi guys,
    I had EFILive TuneTool and ScanTool working under Linux some time back. I used Wine to both install the application and run the tools. As has been mentioned, the USB drivers will not work under Linux, because the USB architecture is handled differently under Linux. There is no way that a Windows emulator can pick up and use the Windows USB drivers and make them work. Instead, the options are to rewrite the USB drivers so they work under Linux, or there are some commercial applications that dynamically port some USB drivers to work under Linux.

The best option of course is to get the drivers rewritten for Linux, and we'd be pretty happy. Rewriting The whole of EFILive for Linux would make us ecstatic... but I can't see that happening any time soon. Actually, I can't see the USB drivers happening either given the workloads we are hearing about. If we were to get V2 BBL support for reading and writing tunes though, it would be a great work around. Edit in Linux and transfer the tune to the V2 for flashing.

Simon
    Almost agree

I agree that Wine prolly won't pickup and load the drivers as it is not a true windows emulator it is simply a linux port or the win32 architecture.

On the other hand a true emulator like qemu runs windows in a virtual machine. In this case the host OS, in this case linux, is (in laymans terms) simply mapping the linux usb info to the emulator and windows inside the emulator is actually loading the native windows dlls.

Since there seems to be an interest in this no matter if it's with Wine or an emulator I'll see if I can't get it going.

Google uses a Windows based Earth program running in WINE for Linux , Games run in WINE and access USB Mouses (Mice) and Keyboards .
    I think it is more a program uses Explorer and Device Manager to see and set drivers for the program not the USB driver itself .
    The FTDI drivers are in EFILive "driver" folder and if you DL them from the DL section of EFILive site they are not .exe just a folder containing the files .
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 15th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer

Found this : http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/USBtoSerial
    And this :http://www.codeweavers.com/support/t...ticket_level=3
    Although it is for another device might give a clue as to how to progress .
    Looked at Qemu and VMWare would be my choice over it , then again Zen in SuSE is free and does the same thing , but you are running full install of Winders .
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 15th, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer

Well it works under qemu. Again I don't know if this is what is desired but this is one way you can run EFILive under linux. Below is a short step by step on how to set it all up. When I say short I mean I am not covering installing quemu, kqemu or thier configuration. The step by step is more to get the V2 working under qemu running windows xp. I'll be happy to try and help where I can but you are going to have to read and play with qemu to get it installed and running on your machine.

I did this setup on my desktop machine between "real" work tasks so I have not flashed with it, but as you will see form the screen shots EFILive is installed and it sees and communicates with the FSV2 hardware on my Suse 10.0 machine using qemu to run Windows XP.

Read qemu and kqemu manual. http://www.bellard.org/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC21

Install qemu http://www.bellard.org/qemu/download.html

Install kqemu excelerator. Same page as above.

Configure qemu and kqemu for your system.

Once you have qemu setup the follwing command line should get you going. Put the XP CD into the host computer's drive, open up a terminal, switch to root (or run via sudo).

qemu -hda xp.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -usb -m 512 -soundhw all -localtime -kernel-kqemu

A word of warning here, if you don't load kqemu it will be SSSSLLLLOOOWWW

Unless you change some permissions you need to launch this as root (sudo or swtich to su in terminal) or kqemu won't load.

Note that I named my virtual drive xp.img, you may name it whatever you like and then would change -hda xp.img to -hda <your virt>.img also depending on your memory on the host machine you can change the memory option to whatever you like.

You should see the XP install start. Install it just like you would any other machine, then do updates etc.

Download EFILive via internet explorer inside the virtual XP machine.

Download the xp drivers via internet explorer inside the virtual xp machine.

Plug in the V2, hit ctrl+alt+2 and you will be at the qemu command prompt, type usb_add host:0403:e4a1 then hit enter. Note that you won't see anything happen until you do the next step.

hit ctrl+alt+1 and you will now see that windows sees the V2.

unzip the drivers somwhere on the xp virtual machine and point the new hardware wizard to that location

xp will now install the divers and let yo know it sees the V2 hardware

Install EFILive, and update to the latest version.

From there use EFILive

Once it's all setup and running if you want you can change the command line to start qemu to what is below and it will automatically pass thru the V2 to windows as it starts. You will have to connect the V2 to the host machine before you start qemu for this to work. Otherwise it will show an error loading the V2 and you will have to add it via usb_add as above after booting windows in qemu.

qemu -hda xp.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -usb -usbdevice host:0403:e4a1 -m 512 -soundhw all -localtime -kernel-kqemu

Again don't know if this is what you were originally after tunedbyGM but it's "a way"

No , not really because you are still in WInders , just on top of Linux .
    VMWare will do the same thing , use to beta test for VMWare .
    Glad you have it working thought , but you are still in Winders .
    2006 Trailblazer

With ya, realize it's still in windows. No matter what anyone does with the current software under linux it will still be in a windows emulator of some sort.

I'll play with WINE next and see how that goes. Just something to do.

IMO anyone wanting to do this for real would be better off to just dual boot the machine for EFLive work.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast