Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EFILive on Linux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default EFILive on Linux

I got around to installing EFILive through Codeweaver's program , EFILive looks awesome running on Linux very fast , only problem is it does not find the USB drivers .
    Will try auto-update as well and see if it works .
    One step closer to a no Windows computer !
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Heh! wouldn't that be nice!! well keep us posted on your progress.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Have you tried qemu?

I haven't installed EFILive under it yet, but I have a multi effects pedal for guitar that is winblows only as well and is usb and was able to get it working.

It might be the same with codweavers but with qemu it's all about figuring out what startup switches you need to mount devices correctly.

If I get some time I'll play with EFILive as well on linux.

What distro are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer View Post
    Have you tried qemu?

I haven't installed EFILive under it yet, but I have a multi effects pedal for guitar that is winblows only as well and is usb and was able to get it working.

It might be the same with codweavers but with qemu it's all about figuring out what startup switches you need to mount devices correctly.

If I get some time I'll play with EFILive as well on linux.

What distro are you running?
    SuSE 11.0 , with KDE 4 .
    Hmmm , will Google gemu , if I knew where EFILIve looked for the USB drivers , I think it is the "driver" folder in EFILive but that contains the USB driver already so for some reason it is not seeing it , have not had time to play with it but when I can waste a day on it I will try and get it working .
    Codeweavers uses WINE still and I am not a big fan of WINE , if we could get the Coder to write a Linux version for us , hint , hint .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

I don't know if this is all you need but my windows xp reports the following for the V2 driver.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\ftdibus.sys
    c:\windows\system32\ftbusui.dll
    c:\windows\system32\ftd2x.dll
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

On second thought qemu might not be what you are wanting to do.

It is an emulator and what you end up with is windows running inside of linux.

I'll still play some with it to see what I can come up with, but if you are looking for a 100% non windows solution qemu is not it.

Sorry if I confused things

Lifetime Member

Im interested in this, Ill probably never run Linux full time but I will never say never.

And in Vista's defense, it is actually pretty solid if you use x64 and have a machine powerful enough to run its hogging personality. But I started using it in Sept 07 after 9 months of it being out so Im sure Micro$oft got some things "fixed" by then. SP1's supposed to be better, Ill be able to tell once I get a new laptop after mine got fried.

But, Ive been doing a little looking into Windows 7 and Im liking what I see. Take Vista, and polish all the crap out of it is basically what Im seeing plus a few more features/reorganized things. Think public beta starts here soon, have to get in on that...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

anyone thought of using NDiswrapper for the linux side of USB drivers/translation?
    I just got The newest EFILive 7.5, and 8 installed on wine and was extactic!!!
    Havent plugged anything in yet as the stuff is in the truck and it's COLD outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasondt2001 View Post
    anyone thought of using NDiswrapper for the linux side of USB drivers/translation?
    I just got The newest EFILive 7.5, and 8 installed on wine and was extactic!!!
    Havent plugged anything in yet as the stuff is in the truck and it's COLD outside.
    NDISWrapper is for PCICMA cards Modems and such (use to run NDISWrapper a few years ago , before the kernel had card support added) , it is a thought , try and let us know if you get anywhere with it . I think EFILIve is locked by USB driver installation and unless EFILive is triggered by that event it will balk about it .
    Yeah I think if you can get EFILive pass the USB detection process you will be fine , I have not played with it anymore yet , but I seem to remember WINE having a way to specify a device and point to it , kernel 2.6 has FTDI drivers already so getting WINE and EFILive to see them is needed , Linux sees the V2 and loads drivers for it .
    Linux has matured and doesn't' t need the Kernel building of older years past , much easier , the phobia about Linux needs to be dispelled , it is harder than Winders but God 10 times more secure .
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 22nd, 2008 at 07:34 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer

Yes, linux is like a car you're building up... recompile a new kernel every week, write a kernel driver to support a new card, write better lspci and lsscsi utilities, write a new shared library to use sysfs, modify ~/.bashrc and /etc/bashrc, write a few bash/korn scripts, edit/recompile gcc... it goes on... no boredom...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast