Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EFILive on Linux

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer View Post
    With ya, realize it's still in windows. No matter what anyone does with the current software under linux it will still be in a windows emulator of some sort.

I'll play with WINE next and see how that goes. Just something to do.

IMO anyone wanting to do this for real would be better off to just dual boot the machine for EFLive work.

Good luck.
    Yeah if someone from WINE heard you call it a emulator they would go ballistic , Wine Is Not Emulator = WINE (FYI , I also call it a emulator) , just a hobby of mine trying to bring Linux a little closer to the mainstream world .
    Will try Codeweavers suggestions , but it sounds as if EFILive has the key syndrome , and needs Winders Explorer and Device manager to work .
    Yeah , I have dual booted Winders and Linux for some 10 years now , VMWare , qemu and Zen are nice but still Winders on top of Linux .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The new EFILive on Linux forum, here: http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

anyone thought of using NDiswrapper for the linux side of USB drivers/translation?
    I just got The newest EFILive 7.5, and 8 installed on wine and was extactic!!!
    Havent plugged anything in yet as the stuff is in the truck and it's COLD outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    The new EFILive on Linux forum, here: http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Regards
    Paul
    I love it, thanks guys!! I really think it just may open you up to another customer base a tad more with the linux boxes... i mean, efi is a tinkerers tool; and Linux is the same, it seems to go hand in hand!

- Jason

Yes, linux is like a car you're building up... recompile a new kernel every week, write a kernel driver to support a new card, write better lspci and lsscsi utilities, write a new shared library to use sysfs, modify ~/.bashrc and /etc/bashrc, write a few bash/korn scripts, edit/recompile gcc... it goes on... no boredom...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasondt2001 View Post
    anyone thought of using NDiswrapper for the linux side of USB drivers/translation?
    I just got The newest EFILive 7.5, and 8 installed on wine and was extactic!!!
    Havent plugged anything in yet as the stuff is in the truck and it's COLD outside.
    NDISWrapper is for PCICMA cards Modems and such (use to run NDISWrapper a few years ago , before the kernel had card support added) , it is a thought , try and let us know if you get anywhere with it . I think EFILIve is locked by USB driver installation and unless EFILive is triggered by that event it will balk about it .
    Yeah I think if you can get EFILive pass the USB detection process you will be fine , I have not played with it anymore yet , but I seem to remember WINE having a way to specify a device and point to it , kernel 2.6 has FTDI drivers already so getting WINE and EFILive to see them is needed , Linux sees the V2 and loads drivers for it .
    Linux has matured and doesn't' t need the Kernel building of older years past , much easier , the phobia about Linux needs to be dispelled , it is harder than Winders but God 10 times more secure .
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 22nd, 2008 at 06:34 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Let's concentrate on one thread:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9685

It can happen! Let's help make it so!
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

I have played around with Linux, the kids love it. Runs good, 8.04 was last I was on, kids loved it, wife didn't mind, but she wanted her WSIWYG editor that only worked on IE. So I gave in....

I have the drive.... Might have to get it going again on an external drive...

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Yes, linux is like a car you're building up... recompile a new kernel every week, write a kernel driver to support a new card, write better lspci and lsscsi utilities, write a new shared library to use sysfs, modify ~/.bashrc and /etc/bashrc, write a few bash/korn scripts, edit/recompile gcc... it goes on... no boredom...

I put Ubuntu (I still can't pronounce it right) on my Laptop.
    So far I am pretty impressed, it's certainly feels like it does things pretty fast, the boot time compare to Vista is amazing, it's done by the time Vista has just loaded the login screen.
    As a total Linux newbie it doesn't seem too hard to use and configure, the only annoying thing was it initially installed itself in a 2Gb partition, which was full by the time the install was done and I could not update anything and I could not be arsed trying to figure out how to add space!
    Anyway, I re-installed it to a 20Gb partition and it is working much nicer, in fact I don't think the initial install actually worked 100%, there was some odd things happening.
    It's never going to replace M$ products in mass, but at least it's a Linux that does not require you to lock yourself away in a room for 6 months trying to learn it, err, like DOS used to be

Cheers,
    Ross

P.S - I haven't ordered my penguin t-shirt yet, I've still got plenty of years left with my GEOS one!
    Last edited by GMPX; May 3rd, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Oh my God , I like to fell out of my chair when I saw this .
    Congrats on the install , Ubuntu is okay for new users and has a good support base .
    I prefer SuSE , but that is me , Linux has come a long ways , with repository management of packages , it is almost as easy as M$ .
    There is a partitioner utility in most Linux Distros now .

Get a t-shirt , shows character .

Gil
    2006 Trailblazer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast