Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: EFILive on Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Get a t-shirt , shows character .

Gil
    I can't talk the talk yet, I dare not join the penguin club.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Ive installed Ubuntu along with Vista and W7 beta (about to install W7 RC1 in a few days!) just havent had enough time to mess with it really. My goal this summer is to build a pc from spare parts and run it on that just to play with in my spare time.

Yes Ubuntu is for Linux noobs, but its Debian core and solid.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Ive installed Ubuntu along with Vista and W7 beta (about to install W7 RC1 in a few days!) just havent had enough time to mess with it really. My goal this summer is to build a pc from spare parts and run it on that just to play with in my spare time.

Exactly the same as this laptop I'm on now. Currently using Ubuntu, but it also has Vista and W7 beta.

W7 Beta looks very promising, but I could not get it to run for more than 5 mins without a BSOD. Never did figure out what was causing it, but it was after I started installing all my normal apps. I'm hoping the RC1 is going to cure this.
    I can't stand Vista on this laptop, it's so slow, yet W7 was quite fast (until it locked up), Ubuntu runs very nice and will probably be my first choice for general work unless W7 runs as well as it seemed to as a Beta.

Now, I just need to work on the long grey beard to be a true Linux user

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

lol... lot's of fun...

Lifetime Member

W7 RC1 released today (5/5/09) in the US, downloading it now! BTW, there is a way to upgrade W7 beta to RC1 even though MS says you cant. Google it, pretty easy to do and Ill be doing it this weekend (this is finals week, cant afford to be without a laptop).

Ross, Im willing to bet you're having a driver conflict. Does your system automatically reboot after a BSOD? If so, open up Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Advanced [tab]. Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery, then uncheck Automatically Restart. Exit out and wait for it to BSOD, then write down and punch the error code into Google (maybe use Vista or Ubuntu for this part). W7 has been rock solid for me after I got my graphics driver installed.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Now, I just need to work on the long grey beard to be a true Linux user

Cheers,
    Ross
    Or a IQ of 10 to use Windows 7 !
    Was informed of Windows 7 DL last week , but just couldn't get to excited about it , same old , same old , a few bug fixes , nothing major .
    Still passing on Windows 7 (Vista Service Package II) , XP still doing fine , of course I use XP as much as I use corn cob for toilet paper , well maybe less .
    Glad to see someone dabble in Linux , who knows might learn that Linux is not all bad after all .

Gil
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post

Yes Debian , Ubuntu is kind of the M$ of Linux , with 'sudo' and the like .
    Funny I was talking to a Windows guru once told him about booting several different OS on one machine , that was 10 years ago . He also was amazed that I could flash my mainboard BIOS , change setting in BIOS , over clock the CPU , Memory , DL newer drivers for the Vid cards and remove , add or change entries from the registry without killing Windows .
    Here is a place that is good for Windows tweaks : http://www.tweakwin7.com/
    Check it out !
    Last edited by Chevy366; May 5th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Ill check that out now man, thanks for the link.

Honestly Im using W7 because it boots faster than Vista and is just as stable (Ive never gotten a BSOD with Vista, regular or SP1 in almost 2 years and I mess around A LOT with it). Plus for comparing tune files, having windows snap to one side of the screen and being able to peek at different screens without switching it smart, Microsoft might have finally done something right after XP.
    ~Erik~

I'm burning the W7 RC1 DVD now. I removed the Beta version and will install W7 RC1 at some stage. From what I saw W7 will be a reasonable choice to upgrade from XP (not that I really need to).
    I still use XP on this machine, no matter what people say XP is not that bad, sure it has it's moments of 'where is the reset button' but they don't happen often enough to be a problem for me. A fresh install of XP runs pretty good.
    Vista on the other hand, what where they thinking!

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Glad to see someone dabble in Linux , who knows might learn that Linux is not all bad after all .
    I never had a problem with Linux except that when I saw people using it I had flashbacks to setting up a 486 DOS PC. Might be some of my ignorance showing through there.
    I get the feeling Ubuntu is frowned upon by hardcore Linux users, but for the millions like me who have gone from Win 3.1 to Vista and everything in between it's an eye opener.
    Note: I am not a M$ fan boy by any means which is why I am glad I finally installed Ubuntu, I feel happy to use something other than the M$ OS.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast