Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PCM Flash to Grand-AM Cup PCM

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Use the scantool to set the VIN into the PCM: Bidirectional->Change VIN.

You mean that a cal-only flash does not work...? Can you copy the log text and paste it here.
    I will try this tomorrow. I also will need to do the crank learn but concerned about the dead cylinders. Thanks for the help. If I can not just flash a tun then I will post log tomorrow.

Rusty,

First do what Blacky/Paul said in post #10...

if you can't get cal-only flash working, then there may be other PCM functions that are not working (it might explain 4 cylinders not firing).

Default operating system

Blacky,
    Can I use a newer operating system with my PCM? I am concerned that my PCM is not normal. From my posted tun file is that possible. On the outside it reads "Grand Am Cup". It also reads something like "No spark, Must have separate controller"

If the operating system and hardware is just normal, then I really would like to program to US as the Metric defaults from Canada are a little hard to convert on the track. I currently just try to hit the dash button at 150mph, which can be a little distracting.

Thanks for your help.

Default More Info about flash failure

The reason why I can not perform a tune flash and am required to perform a full flash is because the PCM serial number is all zeros. How can I get a Serial Number into the PCM?
    Here is some data from EFI LIVE:
    PCM
    VIN 2G2FV22G2X2226801
    Hardware Number N/A
    Calibration ID 4294967295
    Serial Number 000000000000
    Operating System 09381344
    Engine Calibration 16253254
    Engine Diagnostics 16263887
    Transmission Calibration 16264134
    Transmission Diagnostics 16253323
    Fuel System 16264551
    System 16264738
    Speedometer 9359157
    Operating System BCC N/A

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vin.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	4407
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Blacky,
    Can I use a newer operating system with my PCM? I am concerned that my PCM is not normal. From my posted tun file is that possible. On the outside it reads "Grand Am Cup". It also reads something like "No spark, Must have separate controller"

If the operating system and hardware is just normal, then I really would like to program to US as the Metric defaults from Canada are a little hard to convert on the track. I currently just try to hit the dash button at 150mph, which can be a little distracting.

Thanks for your help.
    Yes, you can reflash it with an updated OS file. Make sure the OS file is for a 512KB PCM like yours and not a 1MB PCM. However, that won't help with the initial problem of "no serial number".

Have you tried full-flashing a totally stock OS file with a matching OS number like I suggested? If that does not fix your serial number then the PCM's memory is most likely damaged.

Also make sure you are using the latest version of our V7.5.5 software. You can download the latest version here: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...=48&Itemid=124

Once you have installed the latest version (or if you already have it installed), select the start menu option: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Tools->Check for New Update.

The note on the outside that says "no spark" is a concern. Is that just written on by hand or is it a factory sticker/warning?

As for the metric units, do you mean the dashboard in your car or the dashboard in the EFILive software?

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Post pics of your PCM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Yes, you can reflash it with an updated OS file. Make sure the OS file is for a 512KB PCM like yours and not a 1MB PCM. However, that won't help with the initial problem of "no serial number".

Have you tried full-flashing a totally stock OS file with a matching OS number like I suggested? If that does not fix your serial number then the PCM's memory is most likely damaged.
    I've run into quite a few situations lately where, after a TIS flash, the PCM will report a blank serial number, EFILive will update it. A subsequent "PCM Info" report will show a valid serial number, but any attempts to reflash the tune will show a blanked out serial. I can repeat this on just about any 99-00 OS.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dc_justin View Post
    I've run into quite a few situations lately where, after a TIS flash, the PCM will report a blank serial number, EFILive will update it. A subsequent "PCM Info" report will show a valid serial number, but any attempts to reflash the tune will show a blanked out serial. I can repeat this on just about any 99-00 OS.
    Interesting, the plot thickens...

Do you happen to have any *.blx trace files from when you reflashed a PCM with a blank serial and EFILive added the serial back in, followed by a *.blx file where EFILive refuses to see the serial number?

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

I'll try and remember to grab one the next time I encounter this problem. I do what I can to avoid it (upgrade a customer to an 01-02 OS instead), but I'm sure I'll encounter it again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast