Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux?

Hey try this , go into EFILive in WINE and find the "drivers" folder and it holds the drivers for the V2 FTDI chip (Serial to USB) , see if it will run in WINE , look for C:\Windows>Program Files>EFILive>Drivers , you may have to "dmesg" or "lsusb" to find the Port assigned to the USB in WINE .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Okay looked and did not see a USB device in EFILive when rooting around , man EFILive works flawlessly in Linux in WINE , but no USB , not giving up will try on and off this weekend .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

2006 Trailblazer

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I've never attempted to set up EFILive on Linux, but you may need to use linux drivers underneath wine to allow wine to see the ftdi USB devices. (http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm)
    If you do, you may need to modify the linux drivers supplied by ftdi to use the correct VID and PID for EFIlive's devices.

VID=0403 PID=E4A0 for EFILive FlashScan FSP (i.e. V1)
    VID=0403 PID=E4A1 for EFILive FlashScan V2
    VID=0403 PID=E4A3 for EFILive AutoCal V2

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I've never used EFILive yet, I'm still trying to get to that point. My goal is to use it to tune my 94 caprice classic with an LT1, using either a max232 interface or a 2 transistor interface via ALDL. I would just install windows, but I have managed to lose the hard drive adapter for this laptop, so I'm limited to running from a liveCD. (system won't boot from usb)right now I'm using puppy linux. I can start efilive v4 under wine, and poke around a little. My question is, if I'm just using an rs232 port, will efilive run fine, Since I'm not using any USB for the interface? Anyone know how wine handles rs232? laptop has onboard port, so no usb-serial adapter is needed. system is a dell P3 with 256 megs of ram, I'll likely disable the flash swap once I get everything running and am only running efilive. I'm not set on running puppy, I'll gladly run any live distro that'll cooperate with the lack of hard drive and efilive.

another question... does V7 and V8 handle OBD1 tuning via ALDL? or has it been dropped after v4? This is something that I've been wondering about. I'm assuming that all of these discussions are based around V7 and V8. Thanks for any input or guidance, even tho I'm not sure if I've really asked much. maybe my first question is "do i have any hope?"

If I had a monitor that would run on little enough power for my inverter to run, I'd drag a pc into the car and run that and windows.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

EFILive will attempt to write to its configuration files, so it can't be run from a CD.
    EFILive V4 should run fine on a real RS232 port, it has trouble with most generic USB-Serial converters.

EFILive V4 does not support tuning. EFILive V7/V8 will most likely not support tuning for ALDL controllers, but we are considering including the ability for customers to edit EEPROM images from ALDL style controllers.
    FlashScan V2 and AutoCal hardware both have ALDL scanning capability but it is not available in the V7 software. It is scheduled to be available in the V8 software.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

it's all in a ramdrive, so write capability is there.

while I dont know the model number of the pcm, from what i gather it's flash based, and I know it's from the in-between years for OBD1 and OBD2. looks like paperclip trick will work but it doesnt, and orielly auto parts is the only local place i've found with a code reader compatible with it, some people refer to it as OBD1.2, not sure if this gives any more info. I thought I saw someone refer to efilive in a couple different articles i read on tuning these, maybe it was just logging.

I'll be sure to share anything that I do happen to find in regards to running efilive on a liveCD, even if efilive turns out to be not what i'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I've never attempted to set up EFILive on Linux, but you may need to use linux drivers underneath wine to allow wine to see the ftdi USB devices. (http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm)
    If you do, you may need to modify the linux drivers supplied by ftdi to use the correct VID and PID for EFIlive's devices.

VID=0403 PID=E4A0 for EFILive FlashScan FSP (i.e. V1)
    VID=0403 PID=E4A1 for EFILive FlashScan V2
    VID=0403 PID=E4A3 for EFILive AutoCal V2

Regards
    Paul
    Paul ,
    When I run "lsusb" I get :
    "Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0403:e4a1 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd"
    which is the V2 and then when I run "dmesg" I get this output :
    [ 5901.560031] usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
    [ 5901.763727] usb 2-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=e4a1
    [ 5901.763740] usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 5901.763749] usb 2-3: Product: EFILive FlashScan V2
    [ 5901.763756] usb 2-3: Manufacturer: EFILive
    [ 5901.763763] usb 2-3: SerialNumber: FSV2
    [ 5901.763884] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    So the Vendor and product IDs are there so the Kernel is loading the correct device driver it appears , it is just not passing it to WINE .
    2006 Trailblazer

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    Pat, with all due respect, it sounds like you're blowing way more time getting EFILive to just work under Linux than you spent "Managing & Updating" Windows, where "Stuff just works".

I told one of my friends that DOES know linux very well what you said about Windows being harder/more time consuming to administer and update than linux and his exact words where "He's Nuts".
    Yeah, and hotrodding isn't necessary either.

Linux fixed my problem at work with the networking. Now the XP and Vista computers play together better by using a Linux file server.

It took less time to install and config, and has yet to be rebooted.

What pushed me over the edge was buying a new $$$ Win7Pro notebook, and it's a POS. Sure, it boots fast (SSD will do that), but it won't run my CAD software correct (Linux will), it keeps telling me the Bluetooth is hosed (it's not), I bought Halo for Windows (won't run on 7), etc, etc. Pakistan is of no help. It had the same "too many connections" errors when hooked to the work network.

It's a great Television though. But I already had a TV.

Ubuntu Linux 10.04 is pretty slick. It has worked with NO driver disks on all three computers I put it on. It has over 1,000 free applications with it. You plug in a printer, and it just works right away. It fits on USB stick or a single CD, and installs much faster than Windows. It will boot and run from a CD, or it will auto install right beside Windows.

No, it's not perfect. But it's easy to use, stable, and it's free. Linux is on your routers, your phones, DVR's, etc, etc. It fits where Windows won't.
    2005/2007 DHRA Western Drag Champion
    Bonneville A/DT & B/DT Land Speed Record Holder, 197mph best speed.

Casper - 05 GMC 2500 Dmax LLY 10.59 @ 129, 916rwhp
    Big Blue - 04.5 GMC 3500SRW LLY 13.12 @ 104, 502rwhp sled puller
    Wendy - 06 GMC 2500 LBZ 12.50 @ 107.5 First LBZ into the 12's. 542rwhp.
    Blue Meanie - 02 Z06 11.40 @ 121 AFR H/C

I think Linux would be a huge waste of the developers time from a business stand point
    9.8@150 . LQ4 Turbonetics Billet 7575@18psi, 6 speed, non-intercooled with meth. Speed Density, open loop, no PE.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast