Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Why Linux?

What I like about Ubuntu, easy to install, far easier than anything I have installed before, it works, gazillions of programs out there for it, all free/open source, stable as a rock.

What I don't like about Ubuntu (prob all Linux), is getting some programs to run in it is a convoluded nightmare, it isn't intuitive to anyone that I can figure out. I want to get Marathon to run in it and I just gave up, I don't see how anyone can know how to come up with all the things needed to make some of these programs to run. But yet some figure it out.

But I still like to keep it around, but rarely can I make it my main OS to run and use daily.... OSX is better, but not all there too, most of the programs I need on a daily basis are Windows based and don't run in OSX/*nix.
    I owned a Ford once, ONCE.......

Almost had EFILive completely functioning in openSUSE/Wine , I keep getting a error from the HAPI about the FTDI.dll not being found , hunted around but did not see a installable FTDI chipset driver in EFILive anywhere .
    Once it errors I keep getting a memory access error that continues to tally up access error tries .
    SO close but yet so far , will keep messing with it when I get a chance .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

The FTDI drivers are in the 'C:\Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\...' structure on a normal system install. Could you get the required driver contents from there?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    The FTDI drivers are in the 'C:\Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\...' structure on a normal system install. Could you get the required driver contents from there?
    Yeah , checked that , seems what should be there is.
    Getting close, when I get more time will tinker again.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Subscribing to new thread as I have Mac OSX (linux).
    Same here!

In regards to the original question, "Why Linux"? I can easily answer that one by asking "why not?".

Seriously though, Linux is a lot faster and is a far more stable platform without any of the overheads inherent in a typical Windows OS. However, you need to work smart to get everything to work with Linux and configuring the drivers is one of the things that let the user down on some occasions.

Having said that, I regret that I bought my HP Netbook with a Windows XP OS (keeps freezing up) as I could have originally bought it with Ubuntu... but I had PCM tuning in mind later down the track... so I decided to go with Windows.

Then I read this thread and the other with Codeweaver...then had the same regrets coming back to me.

Great thread, btw!

Tony,

I run EFILive on WinXP booted via Boot Camp on my MacBook... runs good (3GB usable DRAM) and I like the wide screen;

only problems are the MacBook is cumbersome in the car, and the MacBook's aluminium case is easily dented.

And I found out MacOSX is based on unix rather than linux.

Mac Os X is based off of BSD actually
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Tony,

I run EFILive on WinXP booted via Boot Camp on my MacBook... runs good (3GB usable DRAM) and I like the wide screen;

only problems are the MacBook is cumbersome in the car, and the MacBook's aluminium case is easily dented.

And I found out MacOSX is based on unix rather than linux.
    Hi Joe

I wish I had a MacBook... I only have an iMac which is a desktop computer.

You got me thinking, though... I have literally sworn myself off MS products forever (at least at home) so perhaps the MacBook Air is the better overall option instead of continually mucking about with less powerful Netbooks? At least it's not as cumbersome as the other MacBooks.

Anyway, it's good to know there aren't any issues running EFILive on non-Windows systems.

We have customers that use visualization product like VMware Fusion, Parallels etc as well. I've not tested reading/flashing in pass-thru with emulated USB but can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work really.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Mac Os X is based off of BSD actually
    Well, actually, the Mac OSX kernel is a monolithic (with pluggable module support) version of the Mach microkernel. The rest of the os is basically BSD as you said.

We have customers that use visualization product like VMware Fusion, Parallels etc as well. I've not tested reading/flashing in pass-thru with emulated USB but can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work really.
    I use VirtualBox, running Win2K (due to lower memory overhead vs newer Windows versions), and I have read and flashed 411 PCM's and Gen IV Allison TCM's via the emulated USB with zero issues.

Still, a native Linux/*nix version would be nice

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast