Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Default Why Linux?

I prefer Linux as a development platform (I "grew up" using Unix, developing in C), so making a native Linux port of EFILive is something that I would really like to see.

The first push would be to get "EFILive_Hapi" ported and running on Linux. EFILive Hapi is the Hardware API (HAPI) that allows multiple processes to communicate with FlashScan and AutoCal devices. The apps don't need to know anything about USB or OBDII, they just need to make API calls such as getVIN(), setVIN(), getPIDValue() etc.

From there, a published API would/could be made available so that Linux developers (and Windows developers) can write their own software to interface with FlashScan. Not sure how it would/could work but its a possibility.

As soon as "business" allows it and I can get some spare time, it is something that I will pursue. However, "getting time" to do it is the hard part.

If anyone is trying to get EFILive working on Linux and needs tech questions answered just post them in this forum.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default Lol

i don`t know for sure but from what i reckon, EFILive is a "small" company,
    and i can think of a few more extra features that i would like to see
    and i know some would agree that more controllers should
    be supported before "other than Windows" OS, and Apple compatibility.

i am in no way affiliated with Microsoft, just a customer.
    my apologies if this distracts from this threads intent.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Even though I am a big proponent of Linux and us it as my primary OS for most of my own stuff. I agree with the post above. Paul, Ross, Cindy and the rest of the small crew here do an outstanding job IMO and there are surely other more important things than this.

I can see it from Paul's point of view as well though.

I guess at the end of the day I'd cast my vote for more functionality to what you guys already have done vs a port to Linux.

Paul if you followed the other thread you see that Codeweavers program will run EFILive but has a problem with the USB detection process .
    So what does EFILive look for when needing USB device driver ?
    Did you read both links in the thread especially the one about keyed device locking ?
    I am not a coder , however have briefly messed around with C and C++ , but not enough to even think of writing code in it .
    Wow , a guy needs a break from the usual sometimes and writing a little for Linux might give a person a needed break !
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 17th, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Subscribing to new thread as I have Mac OSX (unix/linux).
    Last edited by joecar; September 23rd, 2011 at 10:28 AM.

Lifetime Member

I would very much love to see Linux support as well (Since I do software testing on the Linux platform, although be it RH 7.3, for my job) but there are a few other things I would like to see fixed in the software (Like my issue with the evap DTC and an easier to use PID interface), and of course everyone wants support for some other PCM. The only computer I have running Windows is this laptop.

Fixing the USB driver/HAPI issue is probably going to be the biggest obstacle since odds are that the software will work OK in Cedega, WINE, or CodeWeavers.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I guess I need to put any "port to Linux project" in context. I said
    As soon as "business" allows it and I can get some spare time, it is something that I will pursue. However, "getting time" to do it is the hard part.
    That translates as - as soon as EFILive V8 is released and stable then I might find time to look into the Linix thing. The hard part of that is, V8 will not be fully stable until well into 2009. V8 and any other outstanding issues with EFILive will of course take priority.

Meanwhile others who are trying to make it work as it stands, should ask questions in this forum. i.e. My contribution right now is limited to answering tech questions...

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Subscribed.

Call GetTime(lots)

Returns: very large negative number....

Anyone heard of this : http://www.alkyproject.com/

Would love to see a Netbook sized computer preloaded with Linux , EFILive and "instant on" for tuning , I know V2 with V8 is close to that , but no Internet connectivity .
    Instant on for laptops is the new and great thing , and Linux is there doing it .
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 17th, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

2006 Trailblazer

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast