Thread: Need help on tuning for new set up....

Default Need help on tuning for new set up....

I have a 370 with ported and flowed l92's, custom cam, l76 intake, 90mm tb...and so on. Anyone interested in helping make a couple adjustments? I could use some advice. Thanks in advance.

Lifetime Member

What kind of adjustments are you looking for and where are you having trouble? What ECM is controlling this?

It is an 02 pcm. I'm having trouble starting when it's cold (open loop I think). It idles a little low and it wants to kill whenever I touch the throttle or shift gears. After it gets to regular temps it runs fine. Still kills on me but not half as bad. I do plan on getting a dyno tune pretty soon, but he usually doesn't spend much time on driveability issues, mostly wot. So I guess I should learn this a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3 View Post
    It is an 02 pcm. I'm having trouble starting when it's cold (open loop I think). It idles a little low and it wants to kill whenever I touch the throttle or shift gears. After it gets to regular temps it runs fine. Still kills on me but not half as bad. I do plan on getting a dyno tune pretty soon, but he usually doesn't spend much time on driveability issues, mostly wot. So I guess I should learn this a bit more.
    have you done the RAFIG/RAFPN process? what about AutoVE? are you running a MAF?

you might look at your desired idle speed table {B4603} and see what its set at, I had to raise my idle slightly when I did my cam.

there's also a thread around here somewhere all about idle tuning, you may want to seach around for it, its got some great info.

EDIT- here's that idle tuning thread I was talking about. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....highlight=idle
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Lifetime Member

Are you running a custom OS? Feel free to send me the tune file at justin at blackbearperformance.com and I'll take a look at it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    have you done the RAFIG/RAFPN process? what about AutoVE? are you running a MAF?

you might look at your desired idle speed table {B4603} and see what its set at, I had to raise my idle slightly when I did my cam.

there's also a thread around here somewhere all about idle tuning, you may want to seach around for it, its got some great info.

EDIT- here's that idle tuning thread I was talking about. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....highlight=idle
    What is RAFIG/RAFPN? Never done the auto ve and yes I'm still running the maf. I adjusted the idle speeds to around 725 which helped out a lot when then engine is warm. Still doesn't idle that high from a cold startup though.

Quote Originally Posted by dc_justin View Post
    Are you running a custom OS? Feel free to send me the tune file at justin at blackbearperformance.com and I'll take a look at it for you.
    Email sent to justin at blackbearperformance.com
    Last edited by joecar; December 21st, 2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Protected email url from spam crawlers

Quote Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3 View Post
    Email sent to justin at blackbearperformance.com
    Justin should be able to help out.
    although do a search for RAFIG to find the process. with the ported heads and cam, etc I'm thinking you're VE and desired airflow tables are probably off. I had a buch of problems when I swapped to MPFI and changed cams, just a lot of little tuning issues to sort out.

are you running a wideband O2 sensor?
    Last edited by joecar; December 21st, 2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Protected email url from spam crawlers
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

It shouldn't be too far off b/c i had a h/c 6.0 in before, just a little wilder now. Yes I have an AEM wideband