Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dsp5 tables

Default dsp5 tables

Hello Ross and Paul. Happy New Year!

Would it be possible to get dsp5 to include max vane position? I think this is an incredible innovation, however I am not understanding why target vane position is there. As far as I can tell, max vane position would be so much more useful. It would permit the user to program in an turbo-vane exhaust brake, which cannot be done now.

Does that require a new OS?
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

It will require a rewrite of the DSP5 OS's and possibly make the existing DSP5 LLY OS's non compatible, but that depends how much space the extra tables take up. I will keep it in mind though, but given we only finished redoing the OS's late last year for the V2 switching update I'm a little reluctant to revisit them again so soon.

When deciding which tables to add we simply threw the question out there and based on the feedback on what was requested that is what we ended up including.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Darn, I wish I had mentioned it sooner. I know it has been brought up in a number of threads, and figured this was just due.

Just for my understanding, and curiosity, why is "vane target" included? This table appears to be among the most insignificant to switchability value.
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    Hello Ross and Paul. Happy New Year!

Would it be possible to get dsp5 to include max vane position? I think this is an incredible innovation, however I am not understanding why target vane position is there. As far as I can tell, max vane position would be so much more useful. It would permit the user to program in an turbo-vane exhaust brake, which cannot be done now.

Does that require a new OS?
    It can't? Funny... It works on mine in all my DSP slots...

The way I understand the DSP OS (Ross, correct me if I'm wrong) is it uses the tables in the DSP slot (ie: Target vane position) when that tune is selected, and the other tables that are in the base tune, but not DSP are used all the time, regardless of which tune is selected (ie: Min vane position and Max vane position).

The way my DSP5 tune is set up, I have min vane position set to 98% from 800rpm & up @ 0mm, and max set to 100%, same cells as min in all the applicible tables. Then I have target set to 99% in all locations, DSP included. "Turbo Brake" and "LB7 idle" work like a charm.

I understand what you are saying. In reality it can be done with the boost dsp, but max vane must be set up in the main tune. Min vane should be left alone or you will have a full-time, fuel wasting, non-switchable exhaust brake..

But still, help me understand what switchable value "target vane position" has.
    Custom Tuning Services

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    But still, help me understand what switchable value "target vane position" has.
    Well, different boost levels specified by different tunes will need differnet vane positions, so if you have a big tune that needs a lot of boost, and a small tune that doesn't, you'll need different vane targets for each one, so you'd need that table for each position, wouldn't you?

Keep in mind, I'm FAR from an expert tuner

vane target has nothing to do with commanded vane position (based on my logging experience) which comes from a separate vane controller, I am guessing an integral controller of sorts. It appears to be a very transient "start point" when commanded and desired boost have a disparity. IOW, worthless IMO. That comes after 3 years of trying to find a value for it.
    Custom Tuning Services

Ideally, I'd like to have max and target vane tables on each dsp switch.
    2004 Duramax LLY, 71.5mm Cheetah turbo, Mike L, Transmission, EFI Live

Larry

What value is target vane position? If you can tell me how it is important, you will be the first among 30 people I have asked.
    Custom Tuning Services

You need the target table in addition to the max table, they do work together, I feel that both tables would be of value on the dsp operating system, especially for aftermarket vvt turbos.
    2004 Duramax LLY, 71.5mm Cheetah turbo, Mike L, Transmission, EFI Live

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast