Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RoadRunner guts kit?

another question, if the RR will work in 512 or 1024 pcm's will it work on different platforms like say I have a 01 Grand Prix with a 3.8 which is supported by TC, I wonder if I could install the RR in to that pcm and have it work?

Yes! But don't tell anyone, it is my secret....

Quote Originally Posted by s10mods View Post
    another question, if the RR will work in 512 or 1024 pcm's will it work on different platforms like say I have a 01 Grand Prix with a 3.8 which is supported by TC, I wonder if I could install the RR in to that pcm and have it work?
    I owned a Ford once, ONCE.......

I made my own internal cable, the 512k 938717 PCM is oriented differently inside than the 0411. I have some extra ribbon cable, if you are ordering a guts kit, tell Craig to make yours around 9 inches long instead of the short 4in long. Else all is fine. Mine has been in all winter so far, -24F at worst....

Pick up a bunch of headers, I picked up 4 of them, wish I got more, but I am set up on 3 different PCM's with mine. I have my other oddball to try, but haven't yet, housing is giving me problems....

What did you do for the usb cables? I didnt see those listed on moates site, I am going to pick up a few headers since it would be nice to have a 1024K RR and not have to buy and license another unit.

I just looked at the flash chip and it looks simmlar but it is turned 90 deg from what the truck one is, do I just run a ribbon cable to the RR or something?

oops I must have been posting while you were, I have the 09380717 pcm, I have some ribbon cable at work and will have to get this setup, my car is under about 2 feet of snow right now, so I guess this will have to be a spring project, but that doesnt mean I cant get it setup now.

If you have any problem, give me a scream, it worked well, soldering/unsoldering stuff like that is a piece of cake. But I have done it for years too.

Remember, ESD protect things! You are on the bus, don't zap it!!!!

oops I must have been posting while you were, I have the 09380717 pcm, I have some ribbon cable at work and will have to get this setup, my car is under about 2 feet of snow right now, so I guess this will have to be a spring project, but that doesnt mean I cant get it setup now.
    Edit: Where are you located?

yea, I work in an electronics shop and planty of soldering and ESD experence, does motes sell the USB ports that have the little blus cover with the ribbon cable? I didnt see them on the site. I'm in Michigan, how about you?

By Six Flags in Chicagoland is where I work, live in Rockford, IL. Born in Grand Rapids....

I have one that I got from Molex that trying to get Craig to look at to change his kit to include.

http://www.molex.com/molex/family/in...20|%20Overview

I am going to set mine up with these. Then it keeps it true USB all the way....

yea, I work in an electronics shop and planty of soldering and ESD experence, does motes sell the USB ports that have the little blus cover with the ribbon cable? I didnt see them on the site. I'm in Michigan, how about you?

that's cool, I live right near GR, those Molex connections look good, I might just pick up some of those, I still wish there was a way to run a header out of the case so you wouldnt have to dissasemble the pcm everytime, but then i'm sure there would be ESD issues also. I am thinking of cutting open the bottom of the pcm housing and trying to come up with some sort of "door" or slide cover, I have a TIG welder so I guess nothing is impossable. I dont really need it to be totally water proof as I dont run my RR on a permanent basis. when i'm done I throw the stocker back in.

As nice as that would be, the timing issues would be out of this world. I don't think it would ultimately work at all, or work so flaky it wouldn't be worth it.

Now, that being said, time to try it!!!

Get with your local Molex rep, show him/her what you have and that you need a solution for the USB going through a bulkhead. I got mine out of sample stock, free. I still have to mod it up. Craig has the specs on it too, he hasn't looked into it yet. So maybe I will get my other PCM back from that guy up in Milwaukee and mod mine up the right way.

that's cool, I live right near GR, those Molex connections look good, I might just pick up some of those, I still wish there was a way to run a header out of the case so you wouldnt have to dissasemble the pcm everytime, but then i'm sure there would be ESD issues also. I am thinking of cutting open the bottom of the pcm housing and trying to come up with some sort of "door" or slide cover, I have a TIG welder so I guess nothing is impossable. I dont really need it to be totally water proof as I dont run my RR on a permanent basis. when i'm done I throw the stocker back in.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast