Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tuning out exhaust hiss

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default tuning out exhaust hiss

Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to change to get rid of the exhaust hissing noise you hear at idle with a turbo back exhaust? I want the deep rumble I hear every once in awhile when the turbo vanes change. Also will it affect performance at all if I change it?
    2008 Duramax LMM

• EFI Live
    • EGR block
    • MBRP 4" Turbo Back exhaust
    • Transgo Jr

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
    Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to change to get rid of the exhaust hissing noise you hear at idle with a turbo back exhaust? I want the deep rumble I hear every once in awhile when the turbo vanes change. Also will it affect performance at all if I change it?
    it is a result of closed vanes. Open the vanes on the min/max tabes to, say 40%. You will get rid of it.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
    You will need to change the Turbo Vane Target Position tables (B2210-B2215). Cut every table from 600-800 rpms and from 0-20 mm3s to about 10% (which is where I have mine but its up to you). This will open the vanes at idle and give you the rumble you want.

Yes there are affects are performance, but in a good way . It will decrease cool down times considerably. Other than that, the truck will act and drive as normal. Cant go wrong
    07 El Bee Zee
    Little faster than stock...

change all of your Turbo Vane Target Position tables from 0-800 RPM to "0" and then change the 0-800 RPM in the Turbo Vane Target Position Minimum Table (B2225) to "0." If you really want that LB7 rumble, go with 0%, not 10% If you wanna make the truck sound even louder, take out all of the pilot injection and increase your timing during Idle RPM. damn thing will sound like a 12 valve...while still generating those high LBZ horsepower numbers

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxHawk View Post
    You will need to change the Turbo Vane Target Position tables (B2210-B2215). Cut every table from 600-800 rpms and from 0-20 mm3s to about 10% (which is where I have mine but its up to you). This will open the vanes at idle and give you the rumble you want.

Yes there are affects are performance, but in a good way . It will decrease cool down times considerably. Other than that, the truck will act and drive as normal. Cant go wrong
    Im new to efi, is there a way to choose all these tables at once and make the chang, then save it?

how much timing do you add?
    07 El Bee Zee

I added 4 degrees to the 0-800 RPM, 0-35 mm3 section of all the timing tables. The main reason for doing this was to tune out excess smoke (from other tuning changes I assume) while the truck was idling...but it also made things a little louder. smoke went away too. The main sound difference is going to come from opening up the vanes and killing all the pilot injection though. Getting rid of the pilot is a little tricky because of all the tables that control it, but once it's gone, that LBZ will sound fierce.

What are all the tables to disable the pilot?
    07 El Bee Zee

I zeroed the following tables (if they weren't already set to zero): B9101, B9102, B9103, B9104, B9107, B9108, B9111, B9112, B9115, B9116, B9120, B9121, B9123, B9125, B9127, B9130, B9131, B9133, B9135, B9137. Some of those tables are already set to zero from the factory. I had some problems with the pilot injection re-engaging under certain temperatures...so I made sure all of them were zero. This may slightly affect the ignition process because the pilot assists here a little...nothing really noticeable though.

Thanks!
    07 El Bee Zee

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast