Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First GenIV LMG swap AFM data logs

Default Which tune?

Since my VSS is on the TOS I think AFM, 4 lo and high will work with a 2WD tune.

AFM enabling in 4 lo may not be a problem since it kicks out under any kind of load. If it is there may be a way to disable it.

I think the LH6 was offered only in 4WD's so I need to identify it's 2WD counterpart for the appropriate tune. Holden Crazy has lots of 5.3 tunes to choose from.

Harold if your in Vegas be sure to stop in, I'll send you my contact information.

If our two brains can't figure out the software issue we can discuss how to motivate the guys Down Under

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by PSWired View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering about the vibrations. We are missing the damped motor mounts that the AFM engines come with, so I'd imagine this could be a problem. Is it a specific frequency that is a problem or is it occurring across a range of RPMs?
    Hey PSWired,

Noticed in your sig that you have an LMG 5.3L running E85. Do you use a hard sensor or virtual fuel sensing?

It is a virtual sensor. I don't think any of the Gen IV platforms have a hardware fuel composition sensor.
    1995 GMC Yukon 4WD 4DR
    5.3 "LMG" engine: E85 with AFM
    6L80e 6 speed automatic transmission

Lifetime Member

It is a virtual sensor. I don't think any of the Gen IV platforms have a hardware fuel composition sensor.
    mmm...on reflection you are probably right on that one!

Do you run a gas tank pressure sensor and full evaporative emissions system?

And does it handle the various % of ethanol ok?

Not when they cost $400 per sensor!
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Not when they cost $400 per sensor!
    What? A sophisticated piece of diecast metal with a couple pipes in and out that can figure out what is flowing through it gas or x% ethanol....worth every cent....

Default longer testrun and fuel consumption

I took the opportunity to take my tahoe on a longer trip. I had to drive to the south of Germany. It was about 200mls, a forth of it through some small towns and country roads, the rest a longer stretch of our autobahn. I set the cruise to 70mls/h and watched the AFM working. It only kicked in when the road went downward (very little was enough to get V4 mode) .As soon as the road was flat I was back to V8 mode. Without the cruise it felt that the slightest movement of the throttle and I was back in V8 mode. I think there is room for some refinements so that the V4 mode is kept longer even with a little throttle applied.
    From the exhaust noise and vibration side all was ok. With the V4 mode at higher revs there are small vibrations but nothing big. V4 mode at lower revs changes the things a bit, more vibartions and a strange exhaust tone.

The overall fuel consumption was 13,7mpg which is what I think very high for that very careful right foot.
    what could be done to get better milage out of a e38 controlled LMG 5.3?

Is there a way to get a kind of lean cruise mode? Could I tweak the calibration to get more miles out of a gallon?

I've got my laptop and the EFI V2 with me... what logs could be interesting on the way back to get a close look what causes my engine to drink that much?

Harald
    If nobody has done it before, somebody has to do it....

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    2002 Alfa Romeo Sportswagon 2.0 JTD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A
    2003 friesian Horse " Henry"

Default Mpg

There must be somthing wrong Harold. I just took a trip to Hoover Dam and back and averaged 28 MPG. My digital display reads over 30 MPG when at cruise with AFM enabled.

I can cruise on level or slightly rising roads and keep AFM engauged at 70 MPH.

I know my Truck is lighter than yours but IM getting double the mileage you are.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI View Post
    There must be somthing wrong Harold. I just took a trip to Hoover Dam and back and averaged 28 MPG. My digital display reads over 30 MPG when at cruise with AFM enabled.

I can cruise on level or slightly rising roads and keep AFM engauged at 70 MPH.

I know my Truck is lighter than yours but IM getting double the mileage you are.
    That's impressive! Running factory stock tunes? Excellent result.

Default some logs of the Tahoe maybe someone sees something weird..

Hi ,
    after some first timer troubles I am into the game. I just returned from some test runs. In the past I noticed a strange TC clutch behaviour. . When applied I still could hear a constant change in rpm. No I have it in the first log. I recorded the TIS, TOS , and the TCCslippage. When the TC is applied there is still a 30 - 60rpm slippage like a sine wave. That's the sound I heard...

Then I went to the E38 default metric PID and added the long and short term fuel trims. Here is what I've recorded minutes ago. As I have no experience in interpreting the logged values I need some help..

Main problem in the moment is the bad fuel consumption. The 2007 5,3 4L60E combination could do better as we know from Patrick and Robbi

THX

Harald
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If nobody has done it before, somebody has to do it....

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    2002 Alfa Romeo Sportswagon 2.0 JTD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A
    2003 friesian Horse " Henry"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast