Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with efi explorer

just tried programming the firmware to the v2.05.14 again after re-installing the v7.5 and v8 and the progress bar that pops up shows "checking version" then it reboots it right after. then the EE stops respoding

ill see what else i can dig up, theres tons of info on here

With the 2.5+ bootblock/firmware it is no longer necessary to manually invoke deadpoll by holding down the CTRL key while applying power to the FlashScan V2. The EFILive Explorer application handles this internally. Generally now when the device is in the deadpoll mode is means that firmware needs to be applied to the FlashScan V2 (again using EFILive Explorer).

So just to understand where you are at presently:

Are you able to flash in a new bootblock? if so then the latest bootblock version is actually 2.06.02. If you are able to program this in immediately try applying the 2.06.06 firmware (latest firmware available).
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    With the 2.5+ bootblock/firmware it is no longer necessary to manually invoke deadpoll by holding down the CTRL key while applying power to the FlashScan V2. The EFILive Explorer application handles this internally. Generally now when the device is in the deadpoll mode is means that firmware needs to be applied to the FlashScan V2 (again using EFILive Explorer).

So just to understand where you are at presently:

Are you able to flash in a new bootblock? if so then the latest bootblock version is actually 2.06.02. If you are able to program this in immediately try applying the 2.06.06 firmware (latest firmware available).
    i will try to update the bootblock v2.06.02 right now, currently my firmware version is v2.05.21 and bootblock v2.05.4

Good luck!
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

whenever i am running EE the HAPI will stop responding as soon as i power up the v2

the only way this wont happen is if i power it up in deadpoll mode.

so right now i am not able to flash in a new bootblock version.
    Last edited by 2500HeavyDuty; February 7th, 2009 at 08:32 PM.

Does V2 boot normally (i.e. gets to the main menu) when powered on? Is it worth perhaps trying on a different PC?

I think this is going to require guidance from Paul - I'll email him a link to the thread also.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    Does V2 boot normally (i.e. gets to the main menu) when powered on? Is it worth perhaps trying on a different PC?

I think this is going to require guidance from Paul - I'll email him a link to the thread also.

Yes the v2 starts up normally and functions like if nothing was wrong with it. i can scroll through the menus and look up the license and versions it has programmed into it.

ill see if i can get ahold of another pc to try upgrading it on tomorrow.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Here's the thing...

Boot block V2.05.04 requires firmware V2.05.14 due to the two software modules (boot block and firmware) making calls into each others' program area. If you have a later version firmware than 2.05.14 in the unit then when it attempts to call routines in the boot block, it will fail.

Under standalone conditions the V2 firmware does not call back into the boot block so it appears to work correctly, but because the USB comms is located in the boot block, as soon as you attempt to communicate with the V2 using a PC it attempts to execute code in the boot block code and fails because the USB routines are not located in the same area of the boot block where the V2.05.21 firmware "thinks" they are.

The solution is to program the V2.05.14 firmware back into the FlashScan device.
    The problem with that solution is, that the V2.05.04 boot block, which is responsible for reprogramming the firmware will not allow an older version of firmware to be programmed over the top of a later version. I.e. you can't program V2.05.14 if the V2 already contains V2.05.21 (and the internal version counter/flag has been updated). That is why it says "checking version" and just reboots.

In limited circumstances the V2 could be programmed back to V2.05.14, the circumstance being that the boot block had not yet updated its internal software version counter. Unfortunately it appears your unit has already updated its internal version counter to V2.05.21 and will not allow the old firmware to be programmed back in.

The only option now is to return your V2 to EFILive and we can reprogram it using our external programming equipment. There is no charge for that, except for shipping it to EFILive and back to you.

If you are located in the US, please ship it to Ira at Fish Tuning in CA. His contact details are on our resellers web page.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Here is Ira's details (see contact info).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Here is Ira's details (see contact info).
    thanks, ive already contacted ira, v2 is being shipped tomorrow.

he wouldn't need the cables to go with it does he?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast