Just because it took 3 degrees higher and had no knock doesnt mean thats the correct timing. 99% of the vehicles I re-tune from other shops I make more power or the same same power and I run less timing and usually get better fuel mileage. To much timing will make it lose power which will make it get worse fuel mileage also.
I agree, there is such a thing as the sweet spot.

Just put it in MAF only and tune it and be done. I think your over thinking this way to much, people tune with efi live everyday, efi live is not holding you back. I would start over with the stock file and start re-tuning in MAF only and be done in a day.
At first glance, I would tend to disagree, and think Lazy! However, if your saying start with maf, and then finish the SD portion, then ok. But if you are suggesting running on Maf only, then I think that is the lazy way of tuning IMHO.

have a read of the Virtual VE Tutorial, it might help making sense of how it works
Yes. When I originally started this post, I was waiting on widebands. I finally got them installed so I can tune using the tutorial. At time of post, we were using the dyno widebands.

Either way, with the glitch I am seeing in the VE tables at the moment with my rom, I cant enter any updated info without the software changing what is in there. Very frustrating.