Looking for some help/advice.

My brother and I are looking at using an LS1 ECM on his '87 Buick Grand National. We want to be able to tune it without having to send the chips off. We also want to go to a custom OS and go to speed density.

Now we were thinking about using a calibration from a 2002 4.3L Vortec.

Things we have going for us:
-Both a 4.3L and a 3.8L have the same firing order, and both are V6.
-The 3.8L already is SFI with a cam and crank sensor, distributorless ignition, knock sensor, MAF, MAP, etc, etc.

Things we have against us:
-The 4.3L Vortec has a distributor, the GN has a crank triggered ignition.
-The sensors are not the same. Example is the crank position sensor. I have read that the GN uses a halleffect sensor, while the LSx uses something else.

Questions:
-Would we be better off to use the LSx harness and LSx sensors on the GN, or would we be better off to splice the GN sensors into the LS wiring, and try to change the required values in the ECM?
-How on earth would we fire the individual coils sequentially? Can we do a wasted spark type setup?
-Can we modify a 5.3L tune to only use 6 injectors and 6 coils? Or would it be better to modify a 4.3L tune to fire coils sequentially, instead of a distributor?
-How difficult would it be to adapt a GN crank position sensor to an LSx ECM, or vice versa....install an LSx setup on the GN engine??

I'm certainly have more questions, but this ought to get the gears grinding of the brilliant tuners and PROGRAMMERS out there

I guess the biggest question that we have is: How does a newer 4.3L Vortec fire the distributor? Is the option still there to fire individual coils? Is there something in the code that Ross or Paul could "enable"? If we get this working correctly, we'll plaster all over the car!!!!