Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EFILive as a simple scan tool ???

Default Cummins ??

Can I use the V2 to scan codes for the cummins yet? I'm sorry for such a remedial question, I just don't see the cummins section here.
    I've been using the efilive for my duramax stuff, and didn't know if it was cross compatible yet...?
    07 GMC Sierra LBZ Dually w/ Allison 6 speed automatic
    Crew Cab Dually SLT

As mentioned; Using the main software V8 > Scan & Tune program I select F5:BBX and the screen shows - List, Select, Available PID's
    I have the idea that at this point the user (me) needs to de-select some of these since when I advanced the last time, ie
    F2:Scan the memory usage was too high and could not lower it via de-selecting boxes, at -13%

If that is so then just what do I need? Oh what is a PID? Assume its something relative to engines and transmission and anything else?? Where can one find what they are? Or better still I have an 04 Durmax what do I need.

The references to "follow the pictorials in these links" from Joecar seem to be addressing some of my same questions however they are back to another software package, EFILive Explorer. Is it possible to get scanner going without using yet another software package??? If so lets stay where we are, inside V8 Scan & Tune.

SOooo lets just stay on the F2:scan path for now! It appears that's where I'm stuck.

Well played with the main software V8 > Scan & Tune program I select F5:BBX and the screen shows - List, Select, Available PID's so I de-selected all items that did not look like a drumax, that got the memory usage down to 99%
    Next selected F3:Tune, memory usage still at 99% on that screen, selected Program, took a while, and then CLOSE.

So I'm ready to check the scanner out however didn't I need to select F2:Scan to set the scanner up?

Quote Originally Posted by alan drake View Post
    Oh what is a PID?
    Alan,

why do you need the use of a scantool (let alone a tunetool)...?

post #1 indicates that you want to reset DTC's... what are you going to do when they come back...?

Well played with the main software V8 > Scan & Tune program I select F5:BBX and the screen shows - List, Select, Available PID's so I de-selected all items that did not look like a drumax, that got the memory usage down to 99%
    Next selected F3:Tune, memory usage still at 99% on that screen, selected Program, took a while, and then CLOSE.

So I'm ready to check the scanner out however didn't I need to select F2:Scan to set the scanner up?
    Yes, you need to setup the scanner, eliminate pidlists that are not for your PCM.

My effort to understand the entire usage of the V8 is being broken down into small steps, the first step is to get the Scan Function up and running. Once I know how that works I will move onto reading the vehicles computer memory & then . . .

OK, so it seems that the scanner has not been set up yet, YES? So my next move would be to go back to V8 > Scan & Tune > F5:BBX, de-select all the stuff not needed to get memory usage below 100% then select F2:Scan ??

Assume that loads software into the scan tool then Save it????

Aside from that -
    Isn't the OBDII a standard which most vehicles use? So why does one have to select software special to a vehicle? Is it something to do with memory since the codes actually are different for each vehicle?

OK, so it seems that the scanner has not been set up yet, YES? So my next move would be to go back to V8 > Scan & Tune > F5:BBX, de-select all the stuff not needed to get memory usage below 100% then select F2:Scan ??
    Yes, correct.

Assume that loads software into the scan tool then Save it????
    Save saves to file, Program saves to V2.

Aside from that -
    Isn't the OBDII a standard which most vehicles use? So why does one have to select software special to a vehicle? Is it something to do with memory since the codes actually are different for each vehicle?
    Yes and no.

OBD-II defines what CARB requires in checking that cars in California comply with their smog laws.

The underlying hardware protocol used by GM from 1996-2005 is J1850 VPW which is different than what is used by other car makers.

The software protocol is OBD-II.

OBD-II defines various modes which are used vehicle smog testing and fault diagnosis/repair (e.g. modes $2, $3, $5, $6, $8).

OBD-II defines a set of Generic DTC codes which are the same across various vehicle makes/brands.

OBD-II also defines Generic pids (pids are powertrain parameters that can be logged), such as RPM, VSS, MAP, MAF, ECT, IAT, LTFT, STFT.

GM also adds GM Enhanced pids (which are different than other car makers), such as KR, DYNAIR, DYNCYLAIR, HO2Sxx, IBPWx, GEAR, TCCMODE.

GM Enhanced also includes Enhanced DTC codes.

GM Enhanced also includes bidirectional control of powertrain (e.g. scantool can command solenoids), the EFILive scantool provides an interface for this, most scantools under $500 do not (EFILive is a scantool/tunetool combination, unless you bought the Scan Only version).

The EFILive FlashScan hardware (inline with the cable) translates from VPW to USB, and also performs other functions (like standalone logging).

The EFILive software provides a means to access OBD-II, and also provides a means to log, chart, edit, flash, compare calibrations, swap calibration segments... etc.
    Last edited by joecar; April 25th, 2011 at 03:19 AM.

Google OBD-II and OBD2, there are some very informative sites.

Try to program scanner, EFILive V2, Plug in V2, main software V8 > Scan & Tune program > select F5:BBX and the screen shows - List, Select, Available PID's so I de-selected all items that did not look like a duramax, that got the memory usage down to 99% (Selected E 54,60,35A,35B,86)
    Program is already in the F2:Scan screen by default.
    So select Program, it downloads files, then Close
    Assume I now have a scan tool which will read codes from 04 GMC Duramax LB7 -

So connect V2 to truck port, turn key ON yellow LED (4th from rt is flashing)
    >F1 Scan >F1 Selcet PID F1> List , scroll to E54 - LB7 Next instruction is missing here so I just hit> OK

Now I'm stuck again, I just want to read what codes are causing the "check engine light", know its associated with the EGR.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123