Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stall converters! what needs to be adjusted? (4l60E)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Looking like Bank 1 (driver side) front O2 is no good. Move the front O2s from their current bank to the opposite bank as a test. If the plugs on Bank 2 (passenger side) go black (too rich) after the switch - then that O2 is functionally dead.

An excessively rich condition will cause misfires.

Regards,
    Taz
    just swapped out the bank 1 o2 with a good one from of my other trucks. log is showing good o2 now but its still throwing the p0300 code.
    has no idea how to tune!!

Lifetime Member

The reason I recommended swapping the existing O2s side to side, is to further your diagnostic efforts without adding yet another variable into the mix (like a used O2 from another vehicle). Hopefully the used O2 is OK - otherwise it will cause you to "run in circles" with diagnostic efforts. If that used O2 has seen more than 2 years of service or 60K miles, it probably won't be as accurate / active as it was originally.

Anyway, continue your diagnostic efforts until you find the root cause .... that can sometimes take a while, and can cause frustration.

Regards,
    Taz

ok well it looks like the replacing of the o2 sensor has fixed the misfire now. i threw the code the one time since i put the other o2 in. just took it up the road 2 miles and the converter is still not locking. log shows its in 4th gear.

i turned off the rear o2s and made some changes to the engine abuse and management. here is current tune.

05 black z71 trans tune_0000.tun

Lifetime Member

Glad to hear you may have resolved the misfire issue. Regarding TC function - when you are able, post a log with the PIDs suggested via the link in post #3 of this thread.

Regards,
    Taz

i replaced the o2 rather then swapping them because i couldnt get the bank 2 o2 out without having to drop the y pipe.

would you like me to load that tune into the the truck too? ill go do a log right now.
    Glad to hear you may have resolved the misfire issue. Regarding TC function - when you are able, post a log with the PIDs suggested via the link in post #3 of this thread.

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

No worries .. your efforts worked out ... tend to be overly logical in my "middle age". I never looked at the most recent tune you posted, but a log of the TC related PIDs including the ones Joecar suggested (in the linked thread) may shed some light on what is happening to prevent the TC from locking.

Regards,
    Taz

i feel like such an idiot . When i log it shows that the TC is locking and i can actually see it in my RPMs that it is locking now. however i think it was playing mind games with me because for some reason now my cluster is reading 200-300 RPM higher then what my truck is logging. so when i'm cruising around my RPMs are constantly around 2000 which to my eye looks like the TC isn't locked. i don't know if this just started or if i haven't noticed it till i put the stall in. anyways here is my log.

TCC log.efi

Happens to all of us

Add these pids: TCCSLIP, TIS, TOS, TSTATE09, TSTATE10...

that should bring pid channel count to 16 (make sure to not exceed 24).

Lifetime Member

Correcting the misfire was the greatest obstacle to the TC lock issue. Good log - TC progressing through the various modes - locks nicely. Now that you are confident that all the "hard parts" are in good working order, you can customize the tune to best suit you.

Good job ...

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Happens to all of us

Add these pids: TCCSLIP, TIS, TOS, TSTATE09, TSTATE10...

that should bring pid channel count to 16 (make sure to not exceed 24).
    do you want me to go out an do another log for you with these pids added or just giving me a nice set of pids to long for future reference?

Correcting the misfire was the greatest obstacle to the TC lock issue. Good log - TC progressing through the various modes - locks nicely. Now that you are confident that all the "hard parts" are in good working order, you can customize the tune to best suit you.

Good job ...

Regards,
    Taz
    Thanks for the help. Not sure whats up with my cluster reading higher then what it is actually but everything seems to be driving down the road good. Now to figure out where to make changes from here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12