Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E38 = pos

In the past, as in two years ago, or in the last 6 months or something? I'm just intersted that's all, as far as we are aware our E38 flashing is rock solid reliable with no special tricks or processes to be completed, just the normal key off countdown timer.
    A few years ago I recall the E40 occasionally needed a power removal only after a full flash, we've had a couple of people say that, but that really is an odd occurance and hasn't been an issue for a while.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    In the past, as in two years ago, or in the last 6 months or something? I'm just intersted that's all, as far as we are aware our E38 flashing is rock solid reliable with no special tricks or processes to be completed, just the normal key off countdown timer.
    A few years ago I recall the E40 occasionally needed a power removal only after a full flash, we've had a couple of people say that, but that really is an odd occurance and hasn't been an issue for a while.
    It has been a while, at least over a year as I haven't tried ign on when acc has been working for me consistently when I have had issues using ign. Next one I do I'll try ign again.

JezzaB or swingy might be able to chime in as they were the ones that told me about using ACC in the first place.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Funnily enough if you try to flash one of the Duramax ECM's with just accy it will fail, 100% guarantee, Ign must be fully on.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Funnily enough if you try to flash one of the Duramax ECM's with just accy it will fail, 100% guarantee, Ign must be fully on.
    Same as ls1's it will fail. Seriously though the e38 is a temptemental creature. Almost as bad as flashing computers in aircraft I can assure. We always power the least amount of systems possible to prevent corruption from other systems over the various mux's. This is the theory I've applied to the e38 and it's working for me. Clearly there are still some bugs, as is the reason for this thread from mr prick.

swingtan

RE: flashing the E38 on ACC, I mentioned this years ago and never use the ignition fully on.

The reason is that on on the Holden VZ's and VE's, if you flash with the ignition fully on, I think the V2 causes a significant interruption on the CAN bus and it causes the TRAC/ESP/ABS errors to occur. Some of these require multiple key cycles to clear. This is all avoided when flashing on just ACC as I think the ECM is powered, but the other modules are not. This is also true of the T42 in the V6 Holden VE's.

I also have found the E38 can be very critical on the 15 second timer after a reflash. You can get weird results if you don't key off for 15 seconds.

Simon.

Just found the other thread.... http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-Flashing-tips.....
    Last edited by swingtan; June 1st, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    I think the V2 causes a significant interruption on the CAN bus and it causes the TRAC/ESP/ABS errors to occur.
    Yes it does, it completely silences the CAN bus as is supposed to happen when programming. We've logged multiple times the flash process on a VE Commodore and all modules do as they are supposed to, that is, to be quiet during the flash. The key off timer process is very important, it is used to reset all the modules and allow the ECM to do some house keeping before shutdown. I also have heard the E38 can be very critical on the 15 second timer after a reflash. You can get weird results if you don't key off for 15 seconds.
    I can tell you on my 2011 I always flash with the key fully on, there is zero DTC's after the reflash, and this car has more modules on the CAN bus than you can poke a stick at.
    During the flash it is common to see the dash complaining about no comms from the ABS, TCS off, etc, but once the flash is complete and the IGN off timer is done there should be no residual issues or DTC's.

I believe the problem with the VZ will be the E38 has been thrown in to a car running a comms bus that dates back to 1986! I suspect the modules on the 8192 ALDL bus are not getting all the initialisation / finalisation messages from the PIM (which translates some of the CAN messages to ALDL) and therefore as far as they are concerned the ECM is no longer there because they have no idea a flash is in progress.

If you are flashing fine with just Accy on then stick with it I suppose, it's just not the recommended practise (from us anyway).

Interesting thread, I'll just add that I've had no trouble what so ever with any E38s, I've flashed dozens. Of course I am very careful with the countdown and also disconnecting anything aftermarket. Has been rock solid for me so far. One time I even accidentally flashed one with the key on just one click and I was freaking out because I ALWAYS have it on two clicks. But it worked ok that time. I would imagine they are much more sensitive than LS1s.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

I have done over a 100 VE E38's and have never had any problems with ign on.
    VZ with E38 is another thing - always get imobiliser fail, just have to switch ign on and off.
    2011 VE SSV 419 + CAM + Whipple 2.9FF SC + PPV front struts + Bilstein rear shocks + 6L90E with single piece carbon fiber prop

I have not had this problem for a while.
    Using the RAP position to flash seems to work,
    also waiting for the door locks to cycle before turning the key the off.
    Last edited by mr.prick; August 12th, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

I have tuned hundreds of E38's without a single problem.

Paul Meister
    EFI Calibrator/Managing Member, Torq Speedlab, LLC
    Specializing in late model Ford, GM and Dodge EFI Calibrations
    SCT, EFI Live, HP Tuners, FAST, BS3 and much much more

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast