Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Working on a "Smokeless" tune....

And Ty, I just figured this out a few days ago...I have spoken with Weston at great lengths about going to these 143° nozzles...as I have a customer who just bought some 200% over Exergy's with the 143° nozzle, and I needed info on what the timing requirements needed to be and how they changed from running the 124° of previous.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    And Ty, I just figured this out a few days ago...I have spoken with Weston at great lengths about going to these 143° nozzles...as I have a customer who just bought some 200% over Exergy's with the 143° nozzle, and I needed info on what the timing requirements needed to be and how they changed from running the 124° of previous.
    I've had the rattle for yrs Les. With stock extruded and with these. From what I remember in talking with Greg, these nozzles have been EDMed and extruded and in their process they retain the angles needed. I can see stock nozzles in VCO or SAC having those angles but, once they've been enlarged, the angle becomes what they make it. They may keep those angle ??

It's something also about how fast the pintal can move and it's design in it's seat that's different from VCO. Those boys know their injectors and he said anything over 100% should be a SAC.

You do have a point though and without being the EFI brain you guys are, I'd say too that timing is highly affected.

Rich has tuned some bad a$$ stuff so, my truck is on it's way to having it dealt with :-)
    '07 5.9 Mega 3500
    11.7 @ 118 / 8200lbs

Ok...was just a thought
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    Ok...was just a thought
    I'd listen to any of those you have
    '07 5.9 Mega 3500
    11.7 @ 118 / 8200lbs

Les, that's one of the first things I normally ask is who's injectors they are.

That spray angle changes everything.

The other thing that ISN'T so commonly known is the actual injector solenoid delay.

Different solenoids have different delays from signal to actual event. Without testing them to see what that delay is, you have that to deal with also.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

After playing with small pilot modifications, +\- 1-5 mm3's, +\- 30uS, +\- 1-3* timing and having not much luck, (I saw reactions, just not positive ones) I was revised a Boost Fuel limiter table that pretty much nailed what I was after. No smoke. A light haze at best and turbo still spools quick. And we're talking about a single (BW S363) turbo non-gated 16cm turbine housing. Wonder if the difference in turbo setups (large(r) singles vs twins) have a big role in how or which way (less or more) pilot is tuned to control smoke and spool?
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

sweet. still lookin for the sweet spot. right now im right around +.5-1mm3 for quantity and 1-2* fpr timing from stock. haven't messed with us yet. will keep pluggin away.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    Wonder if the difference in turbo setups (large(r) singles vs twins) have a big role in how or which way (less or more) pilot is tuned to control smoke and spool?
    I'd say it's make a big difference. If you're mostly stock, you're probably gonna need to say closer to those stock values, maybe in the opposite direction Rich went ?? I'm moving a lot of fuel and have fairly big turbos so, it takes a bit more work on the tune into unknown areas.
    '07 5.9 Mega 3500
    11.7 @ 118 / 8200lbs

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    After playing with small pilot modifications, +\- 1-5 mm3's, +\- 30uS, +\- 1-3* timing and having not much luck, (I saw reactions, just not positive ones) I was revised a Boost Fuel limiter table that pretty much nailed what I was after. No smoke. A light haze at best and turbo still spools quick. And we're talking about a single (BW S363) turbo non-gated 16cm turbine housing. Wonder if the difference in turbo setups (large(r) singles vs twins) have a big role in how or which way (less or more) pilot is tuned to control smoke and spool?
    Every truck is different!

What works on one can be 180*'s from what works on another.

There are so many variables that play into what is going to be ideal for YOUR specific situation that the only way to get to where it needs to be is a little trial and error and good feedback to the tuner or good understand of the data logs if you're doing your own tuning.

This is one reason I don't do mail order tunes or offer free tunes. If its not tailored to your truck, you might as well keep using a box tuner.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

I agree Rich. I was more or less trying to find a difference why the way you tune pilot kinda goes is different than a few others. You seem to increase Pilot, while most others seem to reduce it. The general difference that seemed to light a bulb up was your twin turbo truck and Ty's. Almost seems logical, twin turbos..more air instantly..more fuel sooner. Big singles...slower spool..tether pilot back a little. I'm glad you share your experience and knowledge and I was just trying to do the same. (with what little I got, lol) It's all good man!
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast