Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It fires without the fuel pump on.... Dies when you kick the pump on.

Lifetime Member

The fuel pump and the injectors have to be working at the same time. Are you sure that the injectors are working when the pump is running? Injector dynamics sells some quality injectors that include all the proper data that you can plug right into all the injector tables. And they are high impedence so you wont need those funky resistors to mess with. Sell them bosch injectors to somebody else.
    Last edited by slows10; May 3rd, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Hmmm... I see, the key point here is that it runs with the fuel pump off and not with it on...

can you draw a diagram showing how the resistors are connected between the injectors and the harness.

I agree with Joe. At first thought it sounds like something is up with the wiring or resistors (double check), until I read this...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I tried to take some pictures from under my dash. Not the best but I think you can see how we did it. We wired in a inline resistor to the power side. Basically cut the wire before the injector wire goes into the pcm and then wired the resistor between the two wires. We put one resistor for each injector. We also staggered the resistors so they would never touch each other or be against any other metal or wires due to them getting hot.

I am not sure if this would make a difference but since I am running my Fuel pump with a toggle switch I assumed we would disable the fuel pump on the tune but maybe that still needs to be enabled. Again, not sure just trying to figure out what is different from the EFI live from my HPtune. Thanks again for trying to help.
    Good point. I would check the fuel pressure at the rail as soon as the second fuel pump is switched on and also check the voltage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    The fuel pump and the injectors have to be working at the same time. Are you sure that the injectors are working when the pump is running? Injector dynamics sells some quality injectors that include all the proper data that you can plug right into all the injector tables. And they are high impedence so you wont need those funky resistors to mess with. Sell them bosch injectors to somebody else.

What would be the best way to check. They work fine with the pcm that has the HPtune. I would get some other injectors but I don't have a grand to lay down on some injectors when the car works with the resistors just fine with the HPtune. Surely, EFI live can be tuned with the resistors.
    1969 Chevelle
    Stock 5.3, twin PTE62/62's
    E85, No intercooler
    Th400, PTC Convertor, 3.90 Gears
    Meth/Water Injection
    Factory PCM, Wiring Harness
    EFILive,V1, Daily Driver

I just wanted to post some updated info. First I have to thank my cousin Jeff who drove 7 hrs from Chicago to personally come down and find out what was going on with my tune. I greatly appreciate it. We got the car starting instantly and idling like a stock 5.3 right at 950rpms. He also fixed it so my car wouldn't die when we kicked the fans on with a toggle switch. I am going to post what we changed. He said that this isn't the way on paper that it should be done but it is what we had to do to get the car to run. I don't care. I am glad to have a starting point to start makeing some logs. Keep in mind that I have just started with EFI live, Gen III's, Turbos. I have been a big block NA guy for years.

First. The car would just not run with the IFR set at 160lbs or so. He adjusted it to about 69-80 or so along with adding about 30% more fuel to my main VE table. He also lowered the fuel pressure from 52 psi to 45psi on the money. To fix the problem I had even on the HPtune (the car would die when you kicked the fans on) he fixed all the cells in the table that adjusts when the volts drop. I had all those cells on zero. That was wrong.

At least now the car will fire up, doesn't run you out of the garage from the smell of E85, and purrrrs like a kitten. I am looking forward to making some data logs. Still have some mechanical issues to take care of with the trans but I wanted to update the thread for future reference to others trying to use huge injectors, resistors instead of an expensive driver box, and E85.

I am sure someone will want the tune posted. I need to wait and see if it okay with him to post it. Once he gives the okay I will post. I am sure people will try and tear the tune apart but it works perfect on my set up. Remember, just wanted a place to start so I can make some logs and then really start tuning.
    1969 Chevelle
    E85, No intercooler
    Meth/Water Injection
    EFILive,V1, Daily Driver

Glad you made some progress.

If your IFR tables are wrong then you will just have to cheat your VE tables to make it run. It just starts a chain of fuel related tables not being correct.

That is how we get 160lb low impedence injectors to idle like stock. I would rather do that and blow my engine up that only costs $500 to replace then spend $1600 on a set of high impedence injectors. I have to start somewhere and right now this works. Hopefully, as I learn to tune I can eventually get it done the correct way but I have no problem manipulating the software to get the car to work.
    1969 Chevelle
    E85, No intercooler
    Meth/Water Injection
    EFILive,V1, Daily Driver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12