Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TCC enable temperature function needed

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by wanarace View Post
    Back from the dead. Has this ever been looked into?

I have my aux cooler after the factory rad cooler. As such, on the freeway it takes 20miles for the trans to warm up, and that's right now with it being 15C in the morning. This thing will never warm up when it's -20C.

So either I replumb the coolers like stock, aux -> rad, and let the rad warm up the fluid, or I re wire the TFT circuit with a resistor so the PCM always thinks the trans is warmed up.

Thanks
    Steve
    Wow, old thread. I would try option 1 first since it would easier to reroute the trans fluid lines.

Actually in my case it would be easier to re wire the PCM. I just did the 411 swap on 1997 Yukon. So I am very intimate unpining the PCM. My cooler lines are custom made and mounted hydraulic hose lines wih an external filter. Heat kills transmissions. I have have a hard time wrapping my head around running the fluid through a nice external cooler only to warm it back up with engine coolant. Now I may have some problems come winter time here and I may have no choice but put it back to factory when temperatures plummet here come winter.

The only thing I can see that would be affected by the change out would the TCC lockup and hot mode for the trans. Since I am trying to program the trans to stay as cool as possible I don't think hot mode would actually prevent any damage that would not already happen from 140C.

I am going to try the resistor today and see what happens. I have a bunch of leftover pins, so can I pin the TFT signal wire from the PCM. Then tap the other end back into the TFT ground pin.

If the TFT resistance to temp is similar to other gm sensors a 220 or 180 ohm resistor should do it.

I will let you guys know how it goes.
    Steve

If it's so cold why do you need an external cooler (just use the in-radiator cooler only).

It's that cold for 6 months of the year. Come summer when it's 30C and I am towing 7500lbs I need all the cooling I can get.

I wired in a 200 ohm resistor. (actually 2 100ohm resistors in series) that gave me a TFT of 94. So far so good. Converter lockups up great first thing in the morning.

Steve

If you can avoid fooling the PCM it would be better IMO $000.02...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12