Thread: Trans Abuse Mode vs Shift Torque Management

Lifetime Member

Default Trans Abuse Mode vs Shift Torque Management

I keep seeing these confused on various forums and I am hearing more and more people having electronic throttle issues due to zeroing out the trans abuse mode table on ETC vehicles(D2004 in EFILive).... I have seen '06 and up vehicles mentioned. Not sure if this is tuning software specific because most haven't stated what they are using. I have seen several posts on the HPT forum about this.

Based on the following description from GM that I came across on another forum, I'm not sure that the Trans Abuse Mode even needs to be touched......unless someone plans on doing what we used to call "neutral drops." It's probably better to just set D0301 to "Disable" than to zero out the table if you want to deactivate this feature.

Keep in mind that this describes improvements to the 2001 60E, so it is a little dated. For electronic throttle vehicles, add "limits/reduces throttle opening" wherever "retarding spark" or "cuts engine torque" is mentioned.

ABUSE AND SHIFT TORQUE MANAGEMENT
    When a driver mistakenly subjects a vehicle to an abusive maneuver, such as moving quickly from drive to reverse while rocking the car to get out of a snow drift, abnormal wear can occur. The 4L60-E's PCM helps to protect the powertrain by retarding spark to reduce engine output during such situations. Similarly, the PCM briefly cuts engine torque prior to each shift to reduce driveline lash, thus producing smoother shifts.
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

Abuse Mode:

this is exactly like the first part of what you said, it reduces torque when going into gear with too much rpm (i.e. protects against neutral dumping);

it should be left stock and should not be altered or disabled (i.e. there is no valid reason for doing a neutral dump).

Shift Torque Reduction:

this is exactly like the second part of what you said, it reduces torque during a shift (by removing ignition timing);

this can be edited to adjust shift feel without involving slip, so it prolongs clutch/band life.