Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning for methanol/water injection?

Lifetime Member

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation and examples. I have been using AFR because it seems like so many other people use it even though lambda makes more sense.

So I had my tune dialed into 0.793 lambda, and then sprayed 67/33 water/meth today and it dropped it down to ~0.73, but it was more inconsistent than I'd like to see. Unfortunately I don't have a progressive boost controller, maybe that is the issue. At 7psi it switches on at full flow and then it takes about half second for the wideband to register a drop in AFR. So I'm going to drop it to 5psi tomorrow to test. I still want to have a street boost setting of 4-5psi w/o spraying.

I also filled it up with a 50/50 mix to try tomorrow.

And instead of modding the VE table for methanol I may try using the COS5 nitrous trigger to pull fuel once the injection is turned on. However I'm worried about the delay between the fuel being pulled and the methanol entering the engine. Perhaps this isn't the best idea now that I think about it. Maybe I'll have to mod the boost VE table.

And the boost timing table says it can only pull timing in boost, not add it. So I guess I'll have to use the high-octane spark table?

The drop in IAT's when spraying isn't as sudden or as significant as I would have hoped, so I don't think using the IAT tables for spark or fuel will work very well.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2001 Silverado 5.3L ECSB 2WD T56:
    T76 turbo, Meth injection, 72# injectors, 799 heads, 212/212 114LSA cam, Built 4L80E, 3.42's
    EFILive V1 Commercial, COS5 2-bar SOLSD, AEM wideband

Lifetime Member

Tried 50/50 this morning and lambda was down to 0.70-0.73. It looks like I will have to mod the boost VE table for methanol injection. Is modding the high-octane spark table the only way to add spark? It appears I can't use the boost timing table to add spark, and my IAT change/drop isn't significant enough to use the IAT table to add timing. I may set the baseline IAT to about what I'm getting when spraying, and then pull timing at higher IAT's. Is this a reasonable approach?
    T76 turbo, Meth injection, 72# injectors, 799 heads, 212/212 114LSA cam, Built 4L80E, 3.42's

Quote Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
    Is modding the high-octane spark table the only way to add spark?
    Can't you use B5908?
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Can't you use B5908?
    Hmm I suppose I could, good idea. I guess a better question would be, is there a reason to not use the high-octane table.
    Last edited by ferocity02; July 3rd, 2013 at 05:14 AM.

Lifetime Member

What happens when you run out of Water/Methanol?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    What happens when you run out of Water/Methanol?
    Well I have a level sensor so I know when it's running low. But the idea would be to tune it so it can run safely w/o spraying, at least for long enough for me to notice and let off the throttle. I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is.

I would use the boost VE to pull the fuel to compensate for the meth. You can use the HO timing table to add spark - make it the highest value that you want to see - and then use the boost timing table to pull timing in the areas where you want it lower... I personally would never use the IAT method to pull/add timing - not consistent enough for me...
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
    Well I have a level sensor so I know when it's running low. But the idea would be to tune it so it can run safely w/o spraying, at least for long enough for me to notice and let off the throttle. I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is.
    Had mine set up last time using MoTeC gear to drop it down to a "safe" setting if it ran out or there was no flow under power, biggest concern for me was if I tuned for optimum advance and fuel while on the Meth and the pump died or something else failed I'd lose an engine, ended up just using straight water injection in the end as knock suppression to simplify things as the afr's were never consistent with the Methanol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12