Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medium Cam tuning

Default Medium Cam tuning

Hey everyone, I am new here and have been playing with efi live for 5.9 and 6.7 cummins for a year now. This is my first time building a gasser and even tuning one but I have done lots of research to help make everything easier on myself. I've been attempting to get this car to idle right for a few days now and im still having troubles with it. Its a 2004 lm7 with a BTR stage 4 cam 233/248 .630"/.618" lift with 111.5+2.5. Below im including 2 tunes and some logs with them. If someone could please look them over and point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. It is on speed density and has a th400 as well. If you need anything else please let me know and I will do my best to help. PS. I have also tried AUTOVE and RAFIG but I cannot filter PIDS on v8 the way you can on v7.5.

It also has l59 injectors and its set at 60 psi, no power adders as well.

The files are together for each others. Thank you!

camaro2.pldCamaroVE_0005.ctz
    Camarolog.pldCamaroVE_0003.ctz

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by adam24v View Post
    Hey everyone, I am new here and have been playing with efi live for 5.9 and 6.7 cummins for a year now. This is my first time building a gasser and even tuning one but I have done lots of research to help make everything easier on myself. I've been attempting to get this car to idle right for a few days now and im still having troubles with it. Its a 2004 lm7 with a BTR stage 4 cam 233/248 .630"/.618" lift with 111.5+2.5. Below im including 2 tunes and some logs with them. If someone could please look them over and point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. It is on speed density and has a th400 as well. If you need anything else please let me know and I will do my best to help. PS. I have also tried AUTOVE and RAFIG but I cannot filter PIDS on v8 the way you can on v7.5.

It also has l59 injectors and its set at 60 psi, no power adders as well.

The files are together for each others. Thank you!

camaro2.pldCamaroVE_0005.ctz
    Camarolog.pldCamaroVE_0003.ctz
    Do you have a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator?

Give this a try.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nonnieselman; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:39 AM.

It has one but reference is not connected. I have to put my trans and exhaust back on and connect my wide band to see what I'm running for AFR. I looked over the tune and overall the stuff you changed makes a lot more sense other than doing the segment swap. What is the purpose/need for that? Ill post the new data log this weekend with the tune to see how it does and hopefully will have everything connected so you can see AFR in the data log as well. Could you also explain why 33 LBS/hr for the injector flow rate, I was under the impression it was 33 for flex fuel pressures which are high 40's if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by adam24v; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:38 AM.

Lifetime Member

Ok i changed it up for the non vacuum referenced regulator. The L59 in 03 with return fuel system has 33 in for the stock tune. L59 in 04+ data is in this latest tune update. Delete the original tune i uploaded, i missed some stuff in it.
    The segment swap or the adjustments in the Custom Calibrations?
    Also i just noticed the cam specs. i was in a hurry earlier. That is a huge cam for a 5.3. What heads do you have and whats compression?

Correct, I have a l59 tune as well for reference for the fuel injector flow rate etc, but i remember the early l59 using lower fuel pressure so 33 lbs/hr would be incorrect for lower pressure as the flow increases as the pressure increases. I was curious specifically about the segment swaps and why they are done. Yes it is a very large cam for a 5.3, unfortunately there were a few drinks involved behind the purchase of it and just because the car will be at 7500 rpm. It's not a cruiser or anything of that matter it will occasionally see the track but mostly is just a street only car with how I have set the suspension up. This is also a toy and I wanted to do stuff differently than what others have done. Cam will be changed in a few months to something much smaller and I will be boosting it when I'm more comfortable with tuning. It has 706 heads that have been ported and polished with a valve job, stock bottom end with the rings gapped a little looser for a small shot of spray and for when I boost it. My guess for compression is around 10:1 with head gasket thickness and no milling of the heads that I am aware of.

I was referring to specifically the segment swaps, I am not quite sure of the purpose as the segments in the tune seemed okay to me but I'm a novice with gm gas tuning so I don't know. Yes, it's a very large cam for a 5.3(there were also a lot of drinks involved behind the purchase of everything on this build) but the car weighs 2800 lbs full weight with me in it and is strictly set up for street and strip. It will not be used for cruising and will be trailered everywhere it goes for racing. I have the rings gapped a little looser for spray or boost as I plan to boost it in the coming months and to change the cam setup but for now I would like to enjoy 7500 rpm NA. it has 706 heads with a decent port and polish along with a valve job. Compression is a hair above stock with a thinner HG, I don't think the heads were milled in the past. I would be happy with 450 crank HP NA and if I decide to go with a small shot of spray it should satisfy me until the car goes to a twin turbo setup again.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by adam24v View Post
    I was referring to specifically the segment swaps, I am not quite sure of the purpose as the segments in the tune seemed okay to me but I'm a novice with gm gas tuning so I don't know. Yes, it's a very large cam for a 5.3(there were also a lot of drinks involved behind the purchase of everything on this build) but the car weighs 2800 lbs full weight with me in it and is strictly set up for street and strip. It will not be used for cruising and will be trailered everywhere it goes for racing. I have the rings gapped a little looser for spray or boost as I plan to boost it in the coming months and to change the cam setup but for now I would like to enjoy 7500 rpm NA. it has 706 heads with a decent port and polish along with a valve job. Compression is a hair above stock with a thinner HG, I don't think the heads were milled in the past. I would be happy with 450 crank HP NA and if I decide to go with a small shot of spray it should satisfy me until the car goes to a twin turbo setup again.
    AH!
    So for what your doing with a TH400 it wont need any kinda segment swap done.
    If you have the right converter/gear/tire combo it wont be too bad of a setup. I think i set the rev limiter to 7000 so will need to bump it up some more once you get the tune sorted out.
    Your not gonna see 450hp with just that cam and stock 706 heads tho.
    Ill check back in and see how your coming along with getting the car ready to fire back up.

I think 450 at the crank is doable with that cam, fuel injectors and the other odd ends that are done to it. 706

Alright so i've been messing with the car and it idles well or atleast better than before. I've also torn it back down though and began the piping for a turbo, i figured if im building it from the ground up i should build it the way i want the first time around. For a 3 bar map sensor could I use it with a COS and be fine or do I need to flash in a different OS? I plan on running 15-20 PSI depending on how the car feels and my desire for power. I will be upgrading injectors soon as well to 95 LBS/hr with the goal of going to e85 as well. First steps would be getting it to run well on 93. My biggest question is can is stick to open loop speed density doing the turbo setup so i can do away with my narrow band o2's and only use a WBO2 in my downpipe?

Edit: Also, what is everyone doing for modifying their VE tables since v8 makes it a pain with filtering data? I've been going of DYNClair and trying to adjust a handful of cells at a time. There has to be a better way around this?

Lifetime Member

Yea ive done hundreds of turbo trucks with OLSD. It works, just takes time to get the tune sorted out.
    Your COS3 now is fine.
    Make sure your injectors have good data.
    Fuel Injector Clinic, Fuel Injector Connection, or Deatshwerks are the main ones i use for Stock PCMs.

What you mean about V8? It works pretty good just have to get your filters setup.

Now days Holley makes it so easy, i very rarely do turbo tunes on stock PCMs anymore. I started putting Terminator or Dominator ECUs in trucks for the advacned traction control and very nice boost control features. Built in 2 step and Closed loop fueling control. Setup Safeties for fuel pressure and injector duty cycle to keep the rotating assembly inside the block incase there is a fuel issue for whatever reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast